Diesel pickup mileage

/ Diesel pickup mileage #31  
I would love to get 20+ but cursed with a dually 4:10. I can get 16-17 empty @2000 rpm. But, it's a towing beast and never drops below 10 mpg, even with 26K hooked up.....
Since I'm past the warranty, guess I can play with the dpf and mod the exhaust to tweak it a bit more. Maybe add taller tires, which I'll need to replace in 10-20K miles.
Liking the numbers on the new scorpions, but need to get my money's worth out of the '06......

/ Diesel pickup mileage #32  
My '08 F250 gets around 16mpg on a regular basis. If I pull out of a gas station and reset the meter - get set at 55mph - it will show around 20mpg or even more - but I can't drive 55 :) I've gotten as low as 7mpg - 100mph with a loaded 26' Jayco Octane - headed to a Regional in Wortham, TX... we get around 11 or 12 making that trip all other times going about 70mph and stopping at Buccee's every hour :D. It's relative.

Funny thing is every morning I watch people sitting in dead stopped stand still traffic - it probably takes them an hour to travel 15 miles - I'm in the toll lane at 70mph spending $1.60 getting 16+mpg - their stopped but saving that tiny toll fee... wonder what kind of money their wasting on fuel... gotta be more than what I'm spending on the toll... plus I get to work early, get to surf the net, visit this forum... and enjoy a fresh cup of joe. :licking:

Just go for it. Love my F250 Super duty 6.4L Power stroke Twin Turbo diesel... regardless of the mpg :thumbsup:

/ Diesel pickup mileage #33  
I would love to get 20+ but cursed with a dually 4:10. I can get 16-17 empty @2000 rpm. But, it's a towing beast and never drops below 10 mpg, even with 26K hooked up.....

you think that's bad.. my F450 has 4.88 rears :( though i can usually get 10 mpg loaded and doing about 77mph .. which is pretty much top end.. :)

soundguy

/ Diesel pickup mileage #34  
Since I'm past the warranty, guess I can play with the dpf and mod the exhaust to tweak it a bit more. Maybe add taller tires, which I'll need to replace in 10-20K miles.
Liking the numbers on the new scorpions, but need to get my money's worth out of the '06......

I think you truck is a 06 so there is no DPF crap on it. None of the 6.0 Fords had DPF so that one less thing you have to worry about.

Chris

/ Diesel pickup mileage #35  
showing ignorance here.. but DPF?

soundguy

/ Diesel pickup mileage #36  
General Lee's new Super Duty got me drooling and I responded to his post down in one of the other forums and this started a personal quest for answers concerning diesel pick up MPG's. Rather than continuing my pursuits in his thread, I thought it best if I start a new one.

I have two friends that are claiming to get 25-27 mpg Hwy from their "older" Quad Cab Ram 2500's 4X4 w/ 5.9 Cummins' w/ chips and minor mods. They do say that this requires vigilant driving habits but that these are "their real world" figures. I have no reason to believe they are BSing me....but now I kind of have to wonder after reading responses in the forum below. I also think "real world mileage" interpretation might vary some from driver to driver based upon their habits. That said, I have a 'Vette that I can consistently get 29-30 mpg Hwy with if I drive carefully. I can also get 15 MPG with this same car on the same trip if my foot is "in it" constantly. I consider 30 MPG my "real world" Hwy mileage because I drive this car to work (72 mile round trip) often and consistently get this mileage with it.

My question is, what can a diesel pick up that is driven with a little prudence and not towing anything expect to get (MPG) on the hwy? The reason I ask is, I am looking for a used extended cab 4X4, (preferably) a f-250 Super Duty or Chevy 2500HD that I will likely be driving to work ....if I can hope to get 25 MPG ( or better) on the Hwy. Is anyone here obtaining this kind of hwy MPG from their diesel P/U truck? I assume to do this almost always requires installing a chip and probably other minor mods such as aftermarket exhaust for example? Anyone running these mods on their diesels?

I have a 2500hd 4x4 and i was getting around 19 mpg on the hwy. I installed a bulldog which adds power or decreases power depending on what ur doing and i started useing CA-40 fuel treatment and now getting apox 32mpg hwy

/ Diesel pickup mileage #37  
I have a 2500hd 4x4 and i was getting around 19 mpg on the hwy. I installed a bulldog which adds power or decreases power depending on what ur doing and i started useing CA-40 fuel treatment and now getting apox 32mpg hwy

32 highway is getting hard to believe. 25 is not out of the question but 32????

Chris

/ Diesel pickup mileage #38  
showing ignorance here.. but DPF?

soundguy

DPF=Diesel Particulate Filter. They are found on the late 2007 through 2010 Ford, GM, and Dodge diesel trucks. Dodge still uses it while Ford and GM went to urea injection.

DPF is simply a particulate trap. When it gets plugged the system injects diesel fuel and basically lights a fire to burn it out and clean things up. It was a MPG killer because it used as much as .6 gallons to run and could do so about every 300 miles or less.

Chris

/ Diesel pickup mileage #39  
I have two friends that are claiming to get 25-27 mpg Hwy from their "older" Quad Cab Ram 2500's 4X4 w/ 5.9 Cummins' w/ chips and minor mods. They do say that this requires vigilant driving habits but that these are "their real world" figures. I have no reason to believe they are BSing me....but now I kind of have to wonder after reading responses in the forum below. I also think "real world mileage" interpretation might vary some from driver to driver based upon their habits. That said, I have a 'Vette that I can consistently get 29-30 mpg Hwy with if I drive carefully. I can also get 15 MPG with this same car on the same trip if my foot is "in it" constantly. I consider 30 MPG my "real world" Hwy mileage because I drive this car to work (72 mile round trip) often and consistently get this mileage with it.

Speed is ALMOST everything. My grandfather got 25 with his new 1983 6.2 liter diesel van. I inherited it and my personal best was about 22.
Keep in mind when it was new the speed limit was still 55 and he would have obeyed that. After I got it speed limit is 65 to 70.
I fueled up both tanks and drove from Vancouver WA to Casper Wy. I believe that was where I got the good mileage run.
You drive long distances and with a diesel you can easy get that kind of mileage. If you start using hypermileing techniques you can get even better.

/ Diesel pickup mileage #40  
I think I missed something.. or you are *looking* to find fault in chris's posts?

soundguy

Lol maybe you should reread the bottom of chris's post. It wasn't a big slam but apparently he heard chris slip it in before. People get tired of that kind of stuff after a while. ;)