Loader FEL and 4WD

/ FEL and 4WD #1  

ducks13

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4410, two JD 318's, 50" and 46" MMM, 48" KK BB
Why do people consider 4WD so important if you are going to have a FEL? I understand that with the bucket full you have a lot of weight on the front but a box blade and perhaps wheel weight etc. on the back it should be counterbalanced fairly well. The reason I am asking is that 2WD with FEL's seem to be more readily available and more economical. It also seems to me that there were a lot of tractors with FEL before 4WD became so common that people were presumably happy with. How much of an adder would you expect to pay for 4WD on something like a 755, 855, 955?

/ FEL and 4WD #2  
When you fill the bucket and lift it, the weight shifts off the rear tires. You tend to lose traction in the rears. I've operated 2WD tractors with an FEL and ballast weight on the 3PH, and I've not had any problem. But the 4WD on my 2520 does make it much easier, especially when trying to turn and maneuver with a load in the bucket.

/ FEL and 4WD #3  
Hi. I,ve own an Oliver 550, 42hp, 2wd for 10 years and was plowing my driveway with a 880 pounds cement block as a weight.
Now I have a 4wd Massey model 1643 (43 hp and same gross weight )AND I WOULD NEVER GO BACK, it is day and night. I now use a 550 pounds box blade as a counterweight and to give you an example, 2 days ago I tried to push snow with my buchet, it was 6 to 8 inches of snow, I put the bucket down and pushed my way, I stopped 200 feet farther and if I,d wanted, I could have stopped miles farther,,,,snow was coming over the hd bucket, high on the sides, but it was not stopping...my tires are r4 and working well....when you use a 4wd, you will never go back to 2wd. I could do my driveway before with a lot more slidding and back and forth but now it is a dream. Good luck. Roger.

/ FEL and 4WD #4  
^ +1
Steering, especially at high turn angles, is much easier with 4WD as the front wheel try to pull the tractor in their direction. With 2WD at a high turn angle the fronts want to plow straight ahead.

/ FEL and 4WD #5  
Why do people consider 4WD so important if you are going to have a FEL? I understand that with the bucket full you have a lot of weight on the front but a box blade and perhaps wheel weight etc. on the back it should be counterbalanced fairly well. The reason I am asking is that 2WD with FEL's seem to be more readily available and more economical. It also seems to me that there were a lot of tractors with FEL before 4WD became so common that people were presumably happy with. How much of an adder would you expect to pay for 4WD on something like a 755, 855, 955?

If you have ever operated a FEL tractor with both 4wd and 2wd you would see the difference.

When you mention that their were a lot of 2wd tractors and FEL's before 4wd. Well, newer tractors are built a lot different. MUCH lighter and shorter wheelbases.

But the advantages of 4wd are endless. We have a 2wd JD 2040 with a FEL. It is old school tractor of the mid 70's. And it is heavier, bigger bucket, more lift, more power. And I can out work it hands down digging or moving piles of dirt. It hardly has traction to dig into anything. And once the loader is loaded, it can hardly get out and move around.

4WD also allows for all 4 wheels to help you stop in a pinch. Not so on a 2wd.

Also, a good majotiry of people buying CUT's and SCUT's are using them for snow removal. 4WD is MUCH better than 2WD.

And to your last statement, people were presumablly happy because they didn't know any different. And even a 2wd with a loader was better than a pitch fork and shovel. Things evolve. 80 years ago people were happy with a Ford model T. Would you be happy driving something like that as your daily driver???? (Not a restored peice, but something built to the specs of the day).

/ FEL and 4WD #7  

I would say it really depends on where you live & the type of terrain you have.

When we bought a second tractor, the main criteria were a loader & 4WD, in that order. Our 8N did alot of stuff that needed doing but just adding a loader wasn't going to meet our needs (hi gearing, no power steering).

Traction-wise with the 8N, I ran chains all year & was OK 95% of the time. We have very hilly terrain & most areas around here have small, swampy sections that you can inadvertently wander into, so I got stuck a few times. But overall it pretty well both summer & winter (plowing).

With the 4WD, it will go more places, mow on steeper grades & is generally better suited to our hilly ground but can (will, has) get STUCK before you know what hit you. So you have to be more careful on unfamiliar ground.

If where I lived was flatter, I'd certainly consider 2WD.

The loader I couldn't do without.

/ FEL and 4WD #8  
Can't imagine not having 4wd on our hilly land here in Virginia, whether FEL or not.

If you have uneven ground, you gotta have 4wd and even an occasion use of diff lock. Got nothing too much to do with FEL. In snow, I gotta use my steering brakes. So, it doesn't matter whether the fronts are helping me to steer; in snow or ice or with the FEL pushing down or sometimes even on float, they fronts don't steer.

Ralph

/ FEL and 4WD #9  
You can do a lot with a 2 wheel drive tractor, and good ballast.

But you can do so much more, in a shorter period of time with a 4 wheel drive tractor.

/ FEL and 4WD #10  

I did a lot of loader work moving dirt/gravel/loam this summer. Without 4WD engaged, I did more rear-wheel spinning than driving. If the ground was just a little too soft, or just a little too hard, I couldn't get the bucket to dig into a dirt pile w/o 4WD - the tractor would just stop when the blade hit the dirt.

I do not have loaded rear tires, but I don't think that they would make a whole lot of difference - I was counterbalanced with a Woods 9' subframe backhoe that weighs a couple thou. I did some work later w/o the backhoe attached (just a landscape rake on the back) and dirt work was all but impossible in 2WD, regardless of soil conditions.

JayC