pulling a wheel off a tiller?

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller?
i got the pins out with no trouble: i wonder how long i could use the tiller with the pins out, before the wheels fell off? trouble is, i would have to air the tires up about every 5 minutes...oh well, i am still soaking them.
heehaw

ok, i give up..i have tried everything i can think of...heated them with a propane torch, put a scissors jack between the wheels, an two pipe wrenches with cheater bars on them an i still cannot get the wheels to budge....i guess i will get some tire sealer an see if that will get them to hold air for long enough to use..i called a couple places, including a machine shop, an they said they sometimes destroy the wheels trying to get them off: so they suggested taking the tiller to a tire shop an have the tires replaced with the wheels still on.
heehaw

Last edited:
   / pulling a wheel off a tiller? #13  
That is unhappy news. It would be a bear to change the tires while the wheels are still on the tiller.

Last ditch tries here--and not to stir up an endless penetrating oil debate, but did you use kroil oil or some other good oil?

funny you should ask...i have one can of kroil oil that i always use for tough jobs: learned that one from my dad. i may operate the tiller without putting the pins back in an hope the wheels fall off.
heehaw

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #15  
in yahoo under yahoo groups there is a troy built tiller group that has pictures of apuller to build to pull the wheels off of a troy built. I am having one built for myself.

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #16  
That is unhappy news. It would be a bear to change the tires while the wheels are still on the tiller.

Last ditch tries here--and not to stir up an endless penetrating oil debate, but did you use kroil oil or some other good oil?

I found it pretty easy to just leave the wheels on the tiller and change the tires.

i have one other thing i may try later, putting the tiller between two trees: put a pipe from one tree to the center of the wheel, an a hydralic jack from the other tree to the center of the wheel, an see it that will move the wheels or a wheel in slightly, i think, just getting them broke loose, would allow the penatrating oil to seep in, an make it possible to get them off:
i just got new wheel seals an tine seals for the other tiller i have, so i will be replacing those first, or trying..at least the wheels came off easy enough, an using that tiller when the ground dries..
heehaw

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #18  
i was able to get the wheel off my tiller by taking the pin out and tilling with it pinless. Eventually the wheel broke loose. Used a little penetrating oil to help it too.

Would be great if equipment would come with a simple list of important things to do, usually a list of 10 things would do. Instead we get a huge manual.

Just got an old Troybilt Horse tiller, the Kohler engine is junk because the guy never changed his Air Filter.

Don't change an air filter and the gas mixture is too rich and wear out the engine. Well at least i know, but my mechanic says most folks will not change their air filters.

He sold me a generic filter for $5......heh go figure.

Oh, yeah the wheel on this Horse probably has never been lubed either. Uh, here we go again. i do have a Palm Nailer.

How do i get the wheel off with a palm nailer?

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #19  
Oh, yeah the wheel on this Horse probably has never been lubed either. Uh, here we go again. i do have a Palm Nailer.

How do i get the wheel off with a palm nailer?

I can only suggest holding the palm nailer against insole of your left foot and activating it. You will no longer care about the wheel. :D

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #20  
I took the wheels off my old but newer to me Horse and replaced the ouybaord seals. I used BP blaster for a couple days and a propane torch along with a 5 pound drilling hammer.

Never sieze is my friend now.