"Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #81  
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I'm saying what's already said, but some states don't require emissions testing. If you live in a state like this, you might try "deleting" your diesel engine EGR and DPF on late model trucks. I did on a Dodge 3500 Mega Cab, and it saved a lot on diesel! The emissions aren't bad either, if you run 100% bio diesel (which would be a problem with the DPF, it'd break the engine, without it you are good to go):thumbsup:

BUT, warranties are nice things to have!!

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #82  
BUT, warranties are nice things to have!!

The shade tree mechanic in me wants to say that warranty work takes too long and the kids at dealerships don't know anything anyway. My pocketbook wants to hit the shadetree mechanic with a pick axe.

The nice thing about the EGR and DPF deletes though is that they are reversible. You can turn off the EGR without getting rid of the EGR equipment, and the DPF removal requires the same tuner to turn it off you used on the EGR, and then to just replace the DPF with a pipe. You can put it all back on if it needs warranty work.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #83  
The shade tree mechanic in me wants to say that warranty work takes too long and the kids at dealerships don't know anything anyway. My pocketbook wants to hit the shadetree mechanic with a pick axe.

The nice thing about the EGR and DPF deletes though is that they are reversible. You can turn off the EGR without getting rid of the EGR equipment, and the DPF removal requires the same tuner to turn it off you used on the EGR, and then to just replace the DPF with a pipe. You can put it all back on if it needs warranty work.

Not sure I'd want to try that...Who know's what the "black box" knows..Besides, as an ex-service guy in an affiliated GM dealership, they know what to look for when something breaks.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #84  
Not sure I'd want to try that...Who know's what the "black box" knows..Besides, as an ex-service guy in an affiliated GM dealership, they know what to look for when something breaks.

You can do a re-flash of the ECM, it looks like stock GM software to a OBDII machine. Guys over on CumminsForums have been doing this for years with their trucks.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #85  
You can do a re-flash of the ECM, it looks like stock GM software to a OBDII machine. Guys over on CumminsForums have been doing this for years with their trucks.

Well just because guys on a forum say they get away with it doesn't give me any confidence to try to defraud the manufacturers...They want warranty repairs for problems they may have modified themselves into..That's not right in my opinion and I'm long gone from the OEM service stuff.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #86  
marcusmiller360 said:
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I'm saying what's already said, but some states don't require emissions testing. If you live in a state like this, you might try "deleting" your diesel engine EGR and DPF on late model trucks. I did on a Dodge 3500 Mega Cab, and it saved a lot on diesel! The emissions aren't bad either, if you run 100% bio diesel (which would be a problem with the DPF, it'd break the engine, without it you are good to go):thumbsup:

I believe it became illegal for a private citizen to alter your pollution system with fines of $10k.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #87  
   / "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #88  

That does not work anymore on the newer GM models, even if you reflash 10 times. They can tell it was altered in the past.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #89  
That does not work anymore on the newer GM models, even if you reflash 10 times. They can tell it was altered in the past.

100% agree. It takes both an ECM and TCM readout before warranty work is authorized, meaning there is very little you can do to avoid being noticed.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #90  
I believe it became illegal for a private citizen to alter your pollution system with fines of $10k.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf
I find that the EPA mandates are robbing Peter to pay Paul- you clean up the exhaust by burning more fuel. But, regardless of how you justify it, deleting anything is breaking federal law. And don't respond "if they don't catch you, it's ok", or something like that. Breaking the law is breaking the law, whether you get caught or not. And, sooner or later, laws and inspections are going to catch up. The day will come when the deleter will get busted. The EPA is too savy for that- I can't believe that it has gone this long without being enforced more.
And, I don't blame the dealership one bit for denying a warranty claim if someone has altered the truck. Warranty work costs money- just like you and me, they are not doing this for a hobby, but to put beans on the table. I wouldn't take a financial loss in my line of work because someone altered what I did, messed something up, and then tried to blame me. The manufacturers and dealerships shouldn't have to take those financial losses, either. And, at the end of the day, it costs the consumer. So, if you want to delete your trucks, it's your business. But, don't whine and cry when you get busted, fined, or denied on warranty work. You take a risk, you gamble.

Now, please don't take this as a holier-than-thou attitude, or an "I hope you get in trouble" post. I'm not, and I don't. My brother wants me to do deletes on his truck, and I won't do it. That is my decision. You make yours- that is your business. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do- I am just saying that you take known, calculated risks when you alter the emissions system, and sometimes those risks don't pay off. But, you honestly have no one to blame but yourself- don't blame the manufacturer, dealership, or gov't. They have made it clear that they won't accept it.