"Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #111  
That is the same year as my truck. Not done with it yet, but pondering a gas HD, a 6.2 1500 CC, or go for the gusto, and get a Dmax. Will see....

I really wanted a DMAX...But my financial devil appeared and wondered what the heck I was thinking..10K more for almost the same truck?...I Behaved...No regrets.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #112  
I really wanted a DMAX...But my financial devil appeared and wondered what the heck I was thinking..10K more for almost the same truck?...I Behaved...No regrets.

I agree. It will more than likely be a 2500HD gasser. I can easily justify a gas HD truck, but getting a DMAX, with the $11K premium (up here), can buy a lit of gas for that.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #113  
I have a 2003 dmax ally 2500. It has averaged about 17 since new. 12-13 towing 10k and 18-21 empty.

That is tons better than the 16-18 empty and 6-8 towing the 2000 5.3 1500 got.

I like the power and stability of the diesel over the gas, but... the $$$ is totally out of whack. There is NO WAY I'd get a new diesel today. If I put on more miles and towed more weight, yeah. But these days I put on less than 10k a year and tow 3-4000 miles.

Heck, the new truck diesel penalty is so great these days, I'd be $$ ahead to buy extra tractors, build remote garages and store them rather than drag mine around. Hmmmm, now that I mention it.....That is some thing to consider!

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #114  
08 Duramax here. I have owned three duramaxes, 7 dodges with cummins, and several powerstrokes, all 7.3's.

My newest (08) duramax gets 15.5-17 on the highway. With EFI tuning. Virtually no difference before or after tuning. I had an 06 dually that got the same. Only it averaged 11-13 loaded. The 08 gets at best 10. Averages 8 pulling my 26ft travel trailer. It weighs 6300 empty.
I can pull my tandem dual gooseneck and get 9.5 to 10 mpg.

My truck gets peak mileage at about 68. It drops at 63 and 58. Anything below 58 it lugs and you end up needing to run in 5th. It gets no better mileage in 5th. Anything over 75 drops the mileage pretty quick.

It costs much more to run the Duramax now that fuel is so damned expensive. The power is nice, but I'm not sure it is worth it anymore. If you calculate Fuel additive, fuel filter, oil change costs and the additional expense of the duramax (or any other diesel engine) it will take you a lot of miles to get your investment back.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #115  
robphillips00 said:
08 Duramax here. I have owned three duramaxes, 7 dodges with cummins, and several powerstrokes, all 7.3's.

My newest (08) duramax gets 15.5-17 on the highway. With EFI tuning. Virtually no difference before or after tuning. I had an 06 dually that got the same. Only it averaged 11-13 loaded. The 08 gets at best 10. Averages 8 pulling my 26ft travel trailer. It weighs 6300 empty.
I can pull my tandem dual gooseneck and get 9.5 to 10 mpg.

My truck gets peak mileage at about 68. It drops at 63 and 58. Anything below 58 it lugs and you end up needing to run in 5th. It gets no better mileage in 5th. Anything over 75 drops the mileage pretty quick.

It costs much more to run the Duramax now that fuel is so damned expensive. The power is nice, but I'm not sure it is worth it anymore. If you calculate Fuel additive, fuel filter, oil change costs and the additional expense of the duramax (or any other diesel engine) it will take you a lot of miles to get your investment back.

Your comment about the high operating cost of a diesel is why I use my 08 Titan for most task under 10,000# & leave the 06 F350 PowerStroke parked.

If you read my thread about the Titan vs F150 Eco Boost, they both do just as good as your Dmax pulling a similar load last weekend.

Chris

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #116  
robphillips00 said:
8 mpg pulling a 6300lb 26ft TT seems really low, what do you estimate for loaded weight. Is the truck a dually?
Diamondpilot said:
If you read my thread about the Titan vs F150 Eco Boost, they both do just as good as your Dmax pulling a similar load last weekend.
Which load is similar to your 6k lb 14 ft cargo trailer? A 26ft travel trailer that weighs 6300lbs EMPTY and is almost TWICE as long is not similar at all...

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #117  
Dmace said:
8 mpg pulling a 6300lb 26ft TT seems really low, what do you estimate for loaded weight. Is the truck a dually?

Which load is similar to your 6k lb 14 ft cargo trailer? A 26ft travel trailer that weighs 6300lbs EMPTY and is almost TWICE as long is not similar at all...

I have pulled a 27 foot travel trailer with a slide about 200 miles with my Titan last summer. Owner said it weighed 8,000# empty which it pretty much was. It had a gvwr of 10,400#. I brought it home from the lake, did a full bearing job and new brakes plus installed a second battery and 3500 watt inverter then took it back to his house, about 120 miles away.

Got right at 9 mpg

Chris

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #118  
Diamondpilot said:
I have pulled a 27 foot travel trailer with a slide about 200 miles with my Titan last summer. Owner said it weighed 8,000# empty which it pretty much was. It had a gvwr of 10,400#. I brought it home from the lake, did a full bearing job and new brakes plus installed a second battery and 3500 watt inverter then took it back to his house, about 120 miles away.

Got right at 9 mpg

Chris
That's obviously not the "similar load" you were referring to while comparing this Duramax to your Titan and F-150 but good job making up a story to cover. :laughing:

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #120  
Dmace said:
That's obviously not the "similar load" you were referring to while comparing this Duramax to your Titan and F-150 but good job making up a story to cover. :laughing:

You are right, its not the same on but I have pulled a travel trailer to compare it. 9 mpg is nothing to brag about but it is what it is white these rolling box cars. Many of my customers also pull them with GM and Ford 1/2 tons and see right around 8 to 9 mpg.

Glad you are smart enough to figure that out detective Barney Fife.

I guarantee you there is very little difference between a 6,000# camper or box trailer anywhere from 10 feet to 100 feet. The squared off back end is the issue.

What I was getting at was there was some real world data done just this week in a parallel thread.
Thanks for all you concern. Now lets talk about how GM and Dodge are bailed out....

Chris