Sometimes the rock wins

/ Sometimes the rock wins #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
My sloping driveway section (about 200 ft) had a few rock tips poking through the gravel. Before getting a new load of gravel I decided to take them out. Using the box blade scarifiers, all was well. All the known ones came out, and about as many new ones the scarifiers discovered.

Here are the losers:
RemovedRocks.JPG

About 50 feet past the sloping part was a rock, less than a square foot showing, sticking up about two inches. Yesterday I started digging around it, as the box blade did nothing to it. One end was finally exposed, about 30 inches deep, but it was still too solid to move with a chain. I started clearing away more gravel cover and the rock kept getting bigger and bigger the deeper I went. At the point shown in the photo below, the exposed part of the rock measured four feet wide and five feet long. I still hadn't found one edge and end. They kept sloping down at about 45 degrees. About that time I decided it could stay there.

It took only a couple of minutes to fill the hole, as I had kept the dirt in the loader buck and a wheelbarrow.

Here is the winner:

DrivewayRock.JPG

Bruce

/ Sometimes the rock wins #2  
Like I always tell my students, "sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes the nail.". You could always try a little dynamite...lol.

/ Sometimes the rock wins #4  
You gotta be careful pulling rocks out of your driveway. You'll end up taking out the base layer!

/ Sometimes the rock wins #5  
i have a few of the peeking up around the property.

/ Sometimes the rock wins #6  
Just knock the 2 inches off that sticks up with a sledge hammer and go on. You got some nice footing for the driveway there.. Wont wash out:)

James K0UA

/ Sometimes the rock wins #7  
Looks like you're collecting a nice start to some stone retaining walls or flower planters around someplace. I think you made the right call leaving the big one where it was. Perhaps where you dug around the top it will see some additional moisture collection and freezing and perhaps break naturally before it ever becomes exposed again.

/ Sometimes the rock wins #8  
Ah so!, Another Chinese rock. Other end come up in Tiananmen square. Best leave lone and work around unless you have dynamite or big hoe ram.

/ Sometimes the rock wins #9  
Time for a bigger tractor!:thumbsup:
Seriously though, as suggested take a stone chisel and chip a line around the 2" protrusion and then whack it with a sledge hammer. Wear eye protection, then rebury the rest for another day.

/ Sometimes the rock wins #10  
I second the chisel idea. Channel your inner Michelangelo and bury the rest. Perhaps it's bedrock :)