cut pipe for plow cutting edge

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge #1  

jimmysisson

Veteran Member
Tractor
1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)
How do you guys who have slipped a pipe over a snowplow cutting edge cut the slot? I have an oxyacetylene cutting torch and thought to use that. Also have 4" grinder but that seems too slow. And do you cut the slot undersize a bit and beat the pipe on? Do the snots from the torch help the pipe "fit" correctly? The pipe is 2" nominal and the edge is maybe 5/8". 2013-11-24 12.21.49.jpg
I thought to weld tabs on the end and bolt back to the blade somewhere, though it's a Fisher with a trip edge. Any tips there?
Thanks, Jim

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge #2  
I had my local steel yard lazer cut the pipe for my blade. They just made a slice-cut but it was a real bear driving it on the blade even with a 12# sledge. I angle cut the corners of the pipes (Y) at the split-cut so that helped to get the pipe started on the blade. I had a spare pipe cut this summer, but this time I had them take 3/8" out of the slice.

I removed the outer-most blade mounting bolts. Made 2 tabs and welded them on the backside of the pipe after bolting them to the blade. I also added an oversized nut for a spacer under the tab before I welded the tab to the pipe - otherwise, I would not be able to remove the pipe without first cutting the tabs off.

I think taking a pipe and welding tabs on it and bolting the assm. to the front or rear of the blade is a lot easier than slitting a pipe and dealing with that. My application did not allow me to do that without more work, so I went with the slit pipe method.

Looking at your blade, I think I would just take a pipe, weld tabs on it and then bolt it to the front or rear of the blade using a few of it's attaching points.

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge
Thanks for the info, Bill.
If I welded the tabs on and bolted to the back, say, wouldn't a frozen rock or divot dislodge the pipe? I guess if the tabs were good and stout and bolted in each edge bolt location. Maybe bolting onto the front would be more secure?

The slot would seem to have the advantage of the full bracing of the cutting edge. Evidently you had enough trouble getting your slit pipe onto the edge to sour you on that method.

How long has the pipe been on your plow? Any wear that concerns you? How much service has it seen - long or rough drive, etc.

I appreciate your response; please pardon the barrage of questions.

Jim

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge #4  
I recently just did this, after seeing a thread that had it on this forum.

I didn't have a torch, had a friend that had one, and asked if he would do it. He did it, but not with a torch. He cut a slot 3/4" to 1" in width with one of those dual blade counter rotating saws. (I'm buying one of those after first of the year.)

Fit like a glove...first try:

Here it is with tabs....paint drying. When I bought this tractor used, it had two holes already drilled in the bottom of the bucket, so took advantage of the holes already there. I probably would have put them into the side of the bucket, had they not been.

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge #5  
If I welded the tabs on and bolted to the back, say, wouldn't a frozen rock or divot dislodge the pipe
I suppose it could, but don't think it would if they were welded securely. Personnally, I would install it on the front edge since that's the direction of travel....although I have seen them installed on the rear of the blade. I think the key here is to not lower the pipe too much, which should help make for a more secure mounting. Hitting a frozen rock, etc, the blade should just jump over it unless it's a huge rock - that's been my experience.

I guess if the tabs were good and stout and bolted in each edge bolt location. Maybe bolting onto the front would be more secure?
I agree!

The slot would seem to have the advantage of the full bracing of the cutting edge. Evidently you had enough trouble getting your slit pipe onto the edge to sour you on that method.
I agree with this too - especially the slit pipe, but whatever works is the key here. What I like best about the "bolt-on", is that the pipe can be removed in a matter of minutes if need-be.

How long has the pipe been on your plow? Any wear that concerns you? How much service has it seen - long or rough drive, etc.

I put the pipe on last fall and it's still in service. The only real wear is on the most outboard edges of the pipe, mainly from when the plow is angled. I figure that when I do wear through the corners, I'll just repair them with the welder.

I plow our road which is not quite a 1/4 mile and do several neighbor's driveways as well as my own....all of which are gravel.

I appreciate your response; please pardon the barrage of questions.

Jim

Not a problem, Jim! Glad to help! :)

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge #6  
Do you float you FEL when plowing?

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge #8  
Do you float you FEL when plowing?

Most of the time! I know several posters in here may not agree with that, but it seems to work the best for me. I'd say that trial and error is your best bet. I do use plow shoes too.

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge
So you use shoes with your bucket? How do they work? I have some for my plow but when it snows early and the drive is soft they don't seem to be ever big enough!
Jim

/ cut pipe for plow cutting edge #10  
I recently just did this, after seeing a thread that had it on this forum.

I didn't have a torch, had a friend that had one, and asked if he would do it. He did it, but not with a torch. He cut a slot 3/4" to 1" in width with one of those dual blade counter rotating saws. (I'm buying one of those after first of the year.)

Yo, what kind of cutter are you talking about above? Never heard of one, instant tool envy!! Thanks

CM