rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work?

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work? #1  

lsfish

Tractor
ls4047
Would it work well or is that too big for the 4047? Is staying with 6' better?
Recommendations on which one to get? Have a 6' Land Pride that has torn up after 11 years of use/abuse/re-build on a rock farm where we grow rocks and want something better as I am moving to a place with a pasture that doesn't grow rocks..

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work? #2  
Would it work well or is that too big for the 4047? Is staying with 6' better?
Recommendations on which one to get? Have a 6' Land Pride that has torn up after 11 years of use/abuse/re-build on a rock farm where we grow rocks and want something better as I am moving to a place with a pasture that doesn't grow rocks..

You will be fine handling a 7 FT, and likely an 8 FT as well. Down side is that 6 footers are relatively cheap, and the price goes up substantially for more width.

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work? #3  
TSO is correct as far as power to pull, weight might be a problem with a heavy duty 8 footer. Of course they make medium duty that are much lighter. MY 7 foot Bush hog 307 model with rebuilt deck from 1/4" plate all round with dual tail wheels weighs in excess of 2000# and as for powering it, I cant tell it is turning with my P 7010 but anything more for me was way overkill and would need to remove more trees to mow with anything wider.

Check your wallet and see if the extra foot or 2 is worth the extra thousands in price. The take a big jump in 7 foot and then the 8 foot models have dual blades so 3 gear boxes and they jump up considerable more.

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work? #4  
I have a med/heavy 6 footer, and I'm sure it will run a 7 footer with no problems. I've been looking for a deal on a clean used 7, but then someone mentioned that an 8 footer actually can take less power (two sets of smaller blades)....I'd just stick with one that didn't weigh a ton (literally).

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work? #5  
I run a squealer 84 ( twin blade 7' ) with no problems with my 4047

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work?
Thanks for the replies!
I don't know, but with 30 something acres to mow it seems like that extra foot could cut down the time considerably.
Got to think on it some. Have about talked myself into buying a tm-1900 Caroni Flail Mower instead. But I think the 7' bush hog would be faster.

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work? #7  
Every foot helps but at some point, you may be decreasing your travel speed in order to pull that extra foot. When we first got our place (myself and brother in law) we have 42 acres and cut it with a 750 JD and 4 foot mower in second gear which was very slow but the weeds and trees were taller than the tractor. By the time we got bigger tractors and larger mowers, we pretty much had enough cows to keep down the grass. I mowed my pasture first time last year and have had the 7 foot bush hog since I bought my LS in 2010. It much better to have animals munching on the grass to control it than having to mow it all the time.

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work? #8  

I guess I had never researched it, but I've never saw a twin blade 7'. Learn something every day!!! :)

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work?

I checked that SQ84 out online - one nice looking machine! I wish I could get one.

/ rotary cutter size & recommendation for 4047, will 7' work? #10  
I run a sq72 on my 4041h in 6' of grass/weeds in 2nd gear @ 2200 rpm no problem! If you keep the field under control a 7' will be no problem but if you let it over grow it will just slow you down and negate the extra foot and cost you more in fuel and wear and tear on the tractor! Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!