Ballasting calculations

/ Ballasting calculations
Oldtink,

Yes, that is exactly the case. That's what made the calc's I have, somewhere, so unbelievably complicated. The calc's had the FEL as a lever and the fulcrum point on the tractor body was an extremely important determination as was the fulcrum point of the 3-point. What took me so darn long to figure it out a couple years ago was they went so far beyond my understanding. I just plugged in numbers until the outcome looked "nice". Later my son looked at it and he wondered how I had figured it out. He actually understood it - I never told him that I just kept plugging in different lengths & measurements.

Whis -
I know you are correct. Especially when I start entering random length and measurements to the formulas to get an answer that looks "nice".

/ Ballasting calculations #13  
All that paper work don't mean nothing, put a couple thousand on back and if that aint enough add somemore
I was reading down thru the posts toward the end, so I could post what you just said.The amount of "ballast you need" exactly equals the amount of "ballast you need". That amount depends on application. Funny how that works out. :)With my Grapple, filled rears, an additional 300lb of cast wheel weights and a 1500lb BB on the back I can still lift the rear tires off the ground. Depending on application of course. :)

/ Ballasting calculations #14  
Here's an example of the loads you can put on your tractor with a Grapple.

Attachments

• 20140405_100102.jpeg
    20140405_100102.jpeg
    893.8 KB · Views: 151
   / Ballasting calculations #15  
My loader is rated for 2500#. My 3pt is rated for 2600#. I have loaded tires = 1200# my ballast box is 1800#. It works quite well for me.

/ Ballasting calculations #16  
I went to JD's site because I know they show ballast recommendations for their tractors/loaders. This was lifted from the loaders for the 5XXX series machines, and maybe it will help you if your tractor is approx. the same size-

"Front Tire Load Index and Rear Ballast Requirements (5R Series Tractors)

Minimum Ballast for Non Self-Leveling Loader

Ballast Recommendations

Ballast

Regular Duty Front Tire Load Index

Heavy Duty Front Tire Load Index

Option 1

3-Point Hitch

800 kg (1764 lb.)

Rear Axle

Option 2

Rear Axle

1400 kg (3086 lb.)

Minimum Ballast for Mechanical Self-Leveling Loader

Ballast Recommendations

Ballast

Regular Duty Front Tire Load Index

Heavy Duty Front Tire Load Index

Option 1

3-Point Hitch

1000 kg (2205 lb.)

Rear Axle

OUO6064,0000C38-19-20130607

"

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW54462_19/?tM=FR

/ Ballasting calculations #17  
Here is a chart based on tire size and water at 8 pounds per gallon. From here the calculation is capacity of your tire in gallons times weight of fill material per gallon

Liquid Tire Ballast Chart

/ Ballasting calculations #18  
Someone on here put together an excel spreadsheet for calculating wheel loads & ballast.
Anybody remember who did that - it was a pretty nice tool as I remember.

/ Ballasting calculations #19  
I know how to figure it out. Common sense. Go out and use the tractor, they give plenty of fair warning when they are unstable. I use our grapple sometimes without ballast at all, you can feel the difference and yes you have to be cautious but that's just a common sense thing again.

Thanks all for the advice and assists. I do have 1500# of rim guard and a 575# rear blade already. Like most have indicated - start with this and if I need additional I can add. I'll use a little common sense and what is currently on the tractor and go from there. Besides, I've had no luck finding the formulas and calculations. I did find a site that indicated that there were no formulas for an answer.