EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #31  
I would be interested in knowing what your door sticker says for payload vs the website. It is a yellow sticker usually on the driver door or jam.

Here is an eye opener. The door jam sticker says, "total combine weight of cargo and occupants should not exceed 1084 pounds", I assume that also includes trailer tongue weight. Well, it is a half ton truck. Ignoring the literature, it would be more interesting to see what all the door jam stickers say for all brands/models.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #32  
Here is an eye opener. The door jam sticker says, "total combine weight of cargo and occupants should not exceed 1084 pounds", I assume that also includes trailer tongue weight. Well, it is a half ton truck. Ignoring the literature, it would be more interesting to see what all the door jam stickers say for all brands/models.

That is the only downfall I have with the ram. My 2011 super crew F150 has a door sticker of 1835 lbs and it doesn't have the max payload option which would add another 500 lbs. It is a well equipped truck but not as nice as your Laramie.

You are correct with the tongue weight for the trailer. You also have to subtract the driver and ANYTHING in the truck. If you are towing at your max value, your 800 lb tongue weight would be subtracted only leaving you a driver and no passengers.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #33  
Hmm, put Dodge's "most fuel efficient" engine against the competitors "most fuel efficient" engine and the Dodge wins, what a surprise.
Aaron Z

FIFY.

I don't own one of these new truck so I have no idea why you sad "you win" or "your" I didn't win anything as this is not a contest.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #34  
FIFY.

I don't own one of these new truck so I have no idea why you sad "you win" or "your" I didn't win anything as this is not a contest.
I was referring to Dodge and their marketing department.
As for your fix, they were focusing on towing capacity, so I was comparing to vehicles with a like amount of torque and towing capacity. Comparing towing capacities between an engine that has 420LB-FT of torque and one with 278LB-FT of torque is misleading.

Aaron Z

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #35  

My Ford F150 is 2300#. My 2008 Nissan Titan I am trading is 1500#.

Chris

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #37  
Contrary to earlier posts, there is a standard method of determining light duty truck towing ratings, SAE J2807, which the manufacturers agreed to adopt for the 2013 model year. Toyota adopted it early for the 2011 model year, the other manufacturers' decided to delay, for various reasons. I think they did not like the lower towing ratings that resulted from following the procedure. There have been many articles over the years on this topic. Here are some recent ones:

Big Three Will Comply With SAE Towing Standards for 2015 - PickupTrucks.com News

http://wot.motortrend.com/1402_chrysler_ford_gm_to_finally_adopt_new_towing_standard.html

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #38  
I saw my first Ecodiesel the other day. It was a quad cab (no crew cab) 4x4 with very basic options on it for $45k. Dealer was knocking
Off 5k according to some flashy sticker on the truck. Here's the kicker though, right next to it was a crew cab 4x4 3500 dually with the cummins for $43k(this included rebates). Which one would you take? I know which one I'd buy.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #39  
Not taking sides or anything, cause I have no dog in this fight....but I find it funny that....

A 1/2 ton truck with MORE than 1/2 ton of payload capacity is no longer good enough ;)

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #40  
Not taking sides or anything, cause I have no dog in this fight....but I find it funny that....

A 1/2 ton truck with MORE than 1/2 ton of payload capacity is no longer good enough ;)

Not funny when they put six seats in them now and you can't haul 4 adults AND golf clubs for a round of golf. Toyota Prius has more payload capacity than some of the half ton trucks making it to the dealer lots. That is no joke but but I do find that funny.

I'm not sure the history but it would be fun to see a graph showing each manufacturer with its payload over the past 20 years. Most all have improved with each new version but for some reason Ram went backwards with the last version or two. That is what upsets many as well as myself because I like the Interior, styling and powertrains in the ram better than the rest but find it unusable for my family to pull my boat or camper along with my family.