RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke #1  

penokee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO-20 (sold to son-in-law), AC - H3 Crawler, L3130HST, (AC-WD w/Attachments - SOLD), 1984 Honda Big Red, Honda Foreman 4x4 w/plow
Recently had the steering shaft replaced under recall then also had the Dealer change oil and filter. Was traveling on street at 15 mph and after going 1/2 mile the smoke started. Shut it off and after checking that there wasn't a fire, started up and returned home; started blowing white smoke again after that 1/2 mile. Any ideas? Will call Dealer since they just worked on it. Purchased this RTV because of my good results with my Kubota L3130. May have made a mistake with this Kubota. Had for 2 years so no warranty.

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke #2  
Is it white like a cloud?

This may indicate water in the combustion... I believe the 500 is water cooled and the 400 is air cooled?

Water in the combustion could be a head gasket or a crack in the water jacket going on automotive experience.

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke
Thanks for your comments. Would that smoke show as soon as you startup? The last two times I ran it, it didn't start to smoke until I traveled for about 1/2 mile.

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke #4  
I may be that it doesn't leak until pressure builds in the radiator...

Is the coolant level going down any??

SR

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke #5  
I would be careful running the engine much without having a compression leak down test done. That sounds like classic head gasket leaking to me, the engine reaches temp and as parts expand you get coolant in the cylinders....what can happen if you keep running it is you'll have coolant continue to enter the cylinder after your engine is stopped until it cools off...then the next time you start the engine you're trying to compress liquid....that can hydro lock your engine causing massive damage that is going to be very expensive to repair.

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke
Thanks again for comments. Anti-freeze level is ok. Talked to Dealer today and he didn't have any ideas, is going to do some research on it and get back to me next Tuesday. This problem just started after Dealer changed oil a few weeks ago. Appears ,to me it must somehow be related to the oil change. Will post what Dealer has to say about it. We drive the machine only for working on the property, no trail riding, I'm 80 and the little lady is 76, so we don't Hot Rod it.

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke #7  
Does it smell sweet (maple syrup) or like fuel? If its seriously over fueling it will also produce white smoke in a diesel. Black smoke is partially combusted. White means its not combusting at all.

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke #8  
I believe the 500 is a two cylinder gasoline model that is water cooled.

The single cylinder 400 is air cooled with all the rest being Diesel.

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke #9  
Yep, gas water cooled. I'd give the exhaust a whiff when it does this for that sweet smell xring100 mentioned. Check the oil after the engine has run to see if it's frothy and looks like coffee with cream. Keep an eye on coolant level.

/ RTV500 with only 70 hours started blowing white smoke #10  
Is is possible the smoke is light blue (oil burning)? If so, have you checked the oil level? Perhaps the dealer overfilled the crankcase and you are getting some frothing (from the crank hitting the high oil level in the pan and splashing into places high in the crankcase) and then some of the splashing oil is getting sucked into the pcv valve and through through the intake causing the smoke.