3pt Backhoe on a GC series?

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #11  
I have one project in mind I could use a backhoe for. It's digging outside a foundation to redo waterproofing and drainage. The footing is only about 3' below the surface so I don't need any great reach.

As you can see from my signature, I have a GC2300. The way I see it I have a few options to consider:
  • Get a FEL and 3pt backhoe for this tractor.
  • Buy a different GC (maybe a 2400 or 1705) that already has a FEL and get a 3pt backhoe.
  • Buy different GC TLB

I'm sure that if I had a backhoe I would find more projects for it, but I don't see using it on a regular basis. How feasible is a 3pt on a GC series? For my current machine, I have just the factory 2-valve joystick that's currently used for the snowblower. What would be involved hydraulics-wise to operate a backhoe?

FWIW, my son has a mid '60s Massey TLB (not sure the model/size, but around 50hp I'd guess) and my son-in-law has a Kubota excavator. So larger projects can be easily covered. I'd mostly like to be able to do small projects without counting on someone else (both are very dependable, that's not the point, I like to be independent).

Swap it for a REAL TLB with sub-frame, either new or used.
You may not use it often, but you will find many more uses for it than you originally thought you would.
You will NEVER ever want to be without a TLB again.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #12  
For what it's worth, wallstein makes a subframe and backhoe that works with the gc2300. Of course, you need remote hydraulics to run it, or thier optional hudraulic power pack that runs off the pto. Either way it would run about 8k to do it right.

I had a manufactor tell me i could put a 3 point backhoe on a subcompact, and you can, but would likely end up with a broken tractor, injured, or both. Wallstein is expensive, but it will be comparable to the factory setup.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #13  
The OEM hoses are so short that I found it nearly impossible to hook them up because the tractor had to be so close to the BH that there was too little room to even get your hands/arms in easily. (Lots of 4-letter words involved, along with a lot of sweat!) Now, it only takes me about 7-8 minutes to put the BH back on.[/QUOTE]

I don't take my hoe off very often but don't appear to have this problem with my GC2610. Makes you wonder why they would change something that works OK.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #14  
Swap it for a REAL TLB with sub-frame, either new or used.
You may not use it often, but you will find many more uses for it than you originally thought you would.
You will NEVER ever want to be without a TLB again.

My 2305 was a tlb and I do without it just fine, I found the 260 backhoe was close to useless, great ballast though. Maybe they work okay for people living in an area that the ground is soft but very small hardwood roots and rocks make a tiny backhoe worthless in my neck of the woods. I sold the tlb and bought a GC and rent a real backhoe when I need one. The price of a backhoe on a sub compact is ridiculous for what you can accomplish with one.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #15  
My 2305 was a tlb and I do without it just fine, I found the 260 backhoe was close to useless, great ballast though. Maybe they work okay for people living in an area that the ground is soft but very small hardwood roots and rocks make a tiny backhoe worthless in my neck of the woods. I sold the tlb and bought a GC and rent a real backhoe when I need one. The price of a backhoe on a sub compact is ridiculous for what you can accomplish with one.

I have never had a sub compact, so perhaps the small hoe really is useless.
I have an older Ford (48HP gas) TLB with a 10' hoe, and I would NEVER want to be without it.
My Ford hoe is not a massive machine, but is capable of REAL work!

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #16  
My small hoe is not useless. I've dug graves, ditch lines, and several large hardwood stumps out with it. Most of the work was done on my land that is rocky beyond what most would believe.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #17  
Every piece of equipment, and every operator has limitations.

I have solid clay, with lots of basketball sized rocks.

My subcompact hoe has never failed to get my work done.

I have dug out decent sized trees, trenched through roots, and dug 7' deep holes.

Subcompacts don't have the weight to be able to just rip things out of the ground. But, with the right technique, they are capable tools.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series?
I went and looked at the 1710 yesterday. It doesn't appear that the cab from my 2300 will fit, as the new style loader arms come back further than the earlier ones.

Additionally, even if I took the loader mount off in the winter so I could use the cab and snowblower, I'd have to take the cab off if I wanted to use the BH because the seat goes up too high. I'd have maybe one inch clearance even with the seat in the down/forward position.

So that is the end of that exercise. Now I am thinking about buying a used mini excavator versus renting one.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #19  
For what it's worth, wallstein makes a subframe and backhoe that works with the gc2300. Of course, you need remote hydraulics to run it, or thier optional hudraulic power pack that runs off the pto. Either way it would run about 8k to do it right.

I had a manufactor tell me i could put a 3 point backhoe on a subcompact, and you can, but would likely end up with a broken tractor, injured, or both. Wallstein is expensive, but it will be comparable to the factory setup.
If he get a gx620 like my hoe, I will also have a double swing cylinder an 180 degree swinger which no other factory hoe has in that size.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #20  
If he get a gx620 like my hoe, I will also have a double swing cylinder an 180 degree swinger which no other factory hoe has in that size.

It would be a GE605, with a 150 degree arc.