HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000

/ HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000 #1  

treedawg

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Yanmar YM2000
I recently replaced the damaged/missing dummy lights on my YM2000. I also replaced all of the sending units at the same time.

Everything has been going OAK for the last 4 weeks while planting a garden.

This evening I started it up and the oil light stayed on. I checked the oil level and it was fine.

I pulled a cultivator tonight and it remained on.

This tractor was well used/neglected by the previous owner and it smokes pretty heavy when first started then clears up. It also has some serious crankcase blowby so I was somewhat shocked that it wasn't staying on when I originally installed the lights.

I'm a little confused why it suddenly came on today....???

Help.....

/ HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000
Thanks for the info.....

Hopefully it's something simple like that.

td

/ HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000 #4  
had that happen to me. Where the wire screw onto the sender wasn't making a good connection

/ HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000 #5  
Similar here, I ripped the wire off while driving over a fallen rotten dead apple tree to crush it into manageable chunks.

It was a little unnerving to drive back to the barn with the light on, even though I understood the cause.

/ HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000 #6  
Sure hope not, but could be low oil pressure. Same sending unit in a 276. The 276 manual states the light comes on at 14.2psi.

A little more research so I will update. Hoye sells the same sending unit for the 2000 and 276. However, original parts manuals show different part numbers. I have no clue what is in between. Bottom line is you might want to make sure the light is not telling the truth. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000 #7  
i was thinking just like Winston, you could be right on that threshold below the light trigger point. Meaning oil pressure just low enough to turn the light on but not low enough to knock like crazy.

You said you are burning a pretty good amount of oil so there is a possibility for extreme wear inside the engine. This could be a cause as well if you cant find a bad looking wire.

You might have to get a pressure gauge and adapt it into the block so that the gage just is on the block with some fittings.

/ HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000
Sure hope not, but could be low oil pressure. Same sending unit in a 276. The 276 manual states the light comes on at 14.2psi.

A little more research so I will update. Hoye sells the same sending unit for the 2000 and 276. However, original parts manuals show different part numbers. I have no clue what is in between. Bottom line is you might want to make sure the light is not telling the truth. :thumbsup:

I fully expected low oil pressure when I replaced the dummy lights/sending units.

What has me scratching my head is it took 3-4 weeks for it to come on..??

I'm going to check the wires over the next few days and go from there.

td

/ HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000 #9  
I think I'd start off by taking a gage known to be good and just screw it into the block where the sender goes. That way you are going to know if it's low oil pressure, the sender or some wiring in-between the sender and the light. But first things first, find out if you have oil pressure, and how much.
Chris

/ HELP: Oil Dummy Light Staying On Yanmar YM2000 #10  
basically chris said what I was too dumb to just spell out.