Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator?

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #1  

Catman8

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 30B, John Deere 2032R
This is a TSC single row cultivator made by Behlen Country, I called Behlen today and asked if I could put sweeps on their cultivator and they said no. The spacing between the C shanks is 10", the dirt is really soft and I am just wanting to have more coverage for weed control, not looking to go very deep, maybe 3 to 4" max if that.

Is the company just trying to protect their warranty by telling me this or are they correct and it would be a bad idea. If you guys say it's ok, how big of sweeps could I put on for 100% coverage per pass, or what would you suggest the maximum width sweep without tearing up the cultivator or bogging down the tractor. Tractor is a John Deere 2032R, engine Hp 32, 4x4.

IMG_1752.PNG

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #2  
I called Behlen today and asked if I could put sweeps on their cultivator and they said no.

Sometimes "no" is because "they" don't have the items to sell to you, not because it won't work.

Bruce

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator?
Sometimes "no" is because "they" don't have the items to sell to you, not because it won't work.

Bruce

I should have been more specific With my post, their response was no the cultivator is not designed or intended to have sweeps installed, and will void the warranty.

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #4  
A picture is worth 10,000 words.

It appears there is a single bolt and nut attaching each C-tine to angle-iron cultivator frame and the tines are mounted behind the frame, so the single bolt and nut and weak tine hole take all the draft force. This attachment method is relatively weak. Draft force will tear at tine mounting point to angle-iron frame. The attachment bolts are probably intentionally weak so cheap bolts are the primary, sacrificial, fail point.

The attachment of dirt penetrating Points to the tines looks like standard elliptical-head plow bolts and nuts. If you decide to experiment with sweeps I would commence with row crop sweeps just one increment wider than the Behlen supplied points, sweeps angled for shallow cultivation. Measure the bolt hole spacing carefully before ordering. Cultivate only when soil is moist.

Row crop sweeps are generic. Many venders on e-Bay.
Heavy Equipment Cultivator Attachments | eBay

LINK: Conventional Row Crop Cultivator Sweeps - Row Crop Sweeps | Nichols Tillage & Tools, Inc.

I searched eBay for a vender of cheap, generic replacement C-tines but found nothing. Nor does Agri Supply offer generic replacement C-tines. I would research replacement cost of C-tines before experimenting with sweeps against Behlen's admonition. Angle iron implements are cheap to assemble but never very strong.

I have a "Wunderbar" box-frame Tool Bar cultivator with S-tines, but as you can see in three photos, it is of more robust construction, rated for up to 65-horsepower tractors by the vender. We have a second Wunderbar we pull behind a Kubota BX subcompact tractor. The bracket attachment bolts are the primary, sacrificial fail component.

For a tractor of your weight it seems tool bar cultivator in this video would be optimum. I like individual adjustment of each tine.
VIDEO: Weed Control Using Cultivators - July 21 - Growing a Garden - YouTube

I have NO personal experience with cultivator in video. This cultivator is an import and many venders sell it. It ships in a box, in pieces, so UPS can deliver cheaply.

Attachments

• DSC00396.jpg
    DSC00396.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 721
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC00392.jpg
    DSC00392.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
   / Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator?
Jeff, thank you for the info :)

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #6  
Last edited:
   / Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #7  
I wonder what the difference is between running the spikes deep or running sweeps shallow. I'm assuming the sweeps are only used on cultivated land whereas the spikes could also be used on pasture land.

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #8  
Yes.

Broad sweeps require much more tractor motive power to move through soil than points. Sweeps give broader anti-weed cultivating coverage.

Points are for penetrating fairly hard earth, but I have broken points attempting to "break" hard pasture with my Dirt Dog spring-protected Field Cultivator. Replacement points are cheap, generic parts.

Field Cultivators are sold as secondary tillage implements, not primary tillage implements. A spring-protected Field Cultivator is a much, much stronger implement than CATMAN8's C-tine Garden Cultivator.

I never figured out a practical way to attach cultivating sweeps to the relatively thin shanks of my Dirt Dog Field Cultivator.

I love the Dirt Dog. I will have it mounted in about an hour for vine and root removal on a vacant residential lot.

Attachments

• DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 494
  • DSC00360.jpg
    DSC00360.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 346
Last edited:
   / Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #9  
yes you can put sweeps on that cultivator if you want . Sweeps are designed to run just under the surface of a tilled and prepared bed . If you doing 20 acres of corn I would say NO but a garden is fine . I have done exactly what your wanting to do. You will have to remove some shanks for it to work right. If your using it as a chisel plow its not going to work.

/ Why can't you put sweeps on a single row cultivator? #10  
Sweeps were sold by Ferguson for his "tiller", today called a Field Cultivator.

My neighbor has a Leinbach Field Cultivator, which is built heavier than my Dirt Dog. I believe Leinbach would accept fitting of sweeps. Leinbach may replicate dimensions of Ferguson's original.

The Dirt Dog would require sweeps in the form of an encompassing shoe to fit. Trust me on this.

I have a dedicated Tool Bar Cultivator for weed control.

Attachments

• Front Cover.jpg
    Front Cover.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 249
  • ferguson9bo-20fieldcultivator-007.jpg
    ferguson9bo-20fieldcultivator-007.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 414
Last edited: