Pallet forks - operational issue

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #21  
back in the early 80's i was a licensing instructor, i taught about 600 Marines a year, how to operate forklifts and terex loaders. put up a few stacks of pallets and just practice. over & over & over. make it a habit. over & over. after a few hours it will become second nature, after a few days it will become muscle memory. for safety's sake, spacial awareness is more important than knowing where the forks are going. it's the same concept as, you cannot see your tires when you are driving your truck, but you can run over a soda can. learn to be a vehicle operator and not just a driver.

p.s. that camera mod IS friggin kewl though. :thumbsup:

/ Pallet forks - operational issue
Some great suggestions here, guys - thanks.
The camera approach sounds like the most effective although I may end up combining a couple of the other suggestions along with that.
How do the camera and monitor get power - or are they battery powered?

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #23  
Some great suggestions here, guys - thanks.
The camera approach sounds like the most effective although I may end up combining a couple of the other suggestions along with that.
How do the camera and monitor get power - or are they battery powered?

Generally they want 12 VDC from the tractor but they draw minuscule amperage.
Since I did not trust the built in power switch I left it in the 'ON' position and added a simple toggle switch.
My installation has seen 2 winters and operates just as well as the day I installed it. While the specs were not clear mine has not failed even to -30 deg colds.
When blowing snow I did find it kinda odd that the camera reflected yellow snow from reflections from my beacon strobe light.

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #24  
What cameras are you guys using ? Any names or links? I think I could use one for a bunch of jobs, but just want something cheap and easy VS doing a ton of research and setup work (so probably temporary only)

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #25  
What cameras are you guys using ? Any names or links? I think I could use one for a bunch of jobs, but just want something cheap and easy VS doing a ton of research and setup work (so probably temporary only)

They are generally all the same Chinese crap, so it doesn't matter much. Just don't overpay. Some of the name brands offer camera/screen combinations for over $100 that are identical to the $12 cameras and $25 screens you can buy piecemeal off Amazon.

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #26  
They are generally all the same Chinese crap, so it doesn't matter much. Just don't overpay. Some of the name brands offer camera/screen combinations for over $100 that are identical to the $12 cameras and $25 screens you can buy piecemeal off Amazon.

$50.00 (tops) will get the job done.
That is what I paid 2 yrs ago and still works fine, but did buy on offshore web site and waited 4-5 weeks.
My take is that they are all about the same quality with just vendors markups making the difference.
Select a vendor that has a high satisfaction rating.

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #27  
$50.00 (tops) will get the job done.
That is what I paid 2 yrs ago and still works fine, but did buy on offshore web site and waited 4-5 weeks.
My take is that they are all about the same quality with just vendors markups making the difference.
Select a vendor that has a high satisfaction rating.

Yeah, at the time I remember thinking for $12 it didn't matter how good the cameras were -- and the two I installed on my tractor are still doing well a couple years later. Same with the $25 screen, which has even gotten rained on a few times. If any of them crap out I'd order the same cheapo stuff again. For a tractor, they are fine. I am sure I have more invested in the wiring and install work.

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #28  
Im with Ratpie - practice ! You will get it. I have a 5000 Series deere and use my forks more than the bucket. Another fix is to just build some boxes for the firewood and use 4x4 or 6x6 under them so the fork issue is no longer a big deal.

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #29  
Put the back of the forks in the ground, then raise tips a few inches, then go in.

/ Pallet forks - operational issue #30  
I vote for cameras fore and aft. Very reasonably priced these days.