Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #1  

TractorNH

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2655 HST Cab, Deere 350C Dozer, Case 580CK TLB
I need to remove the loaded rear tires to install wheel spacers. They weigh 700-800 lbs each. Anyone here had to remove loaded tires and how did you do it while minimizing the risk of the tire falling over and not being able to stand it back up?

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #2  
I use myself and a good size buddy and try our best to never let it fall over. We just rolled it to the front of the tractor. If alone I would wrap a strap through the rim and use another loader to handle it.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #3  
I use a pallet jack, I can move the rears on my backhoe by myself, I use a ratchet strap around the tire and the handle in the upright position, doesn't allow you to turn, but you're just rolling straight away from the tractor. Most will pickup in excess of 2,000 lbs

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #4  
This maybe a bit more than you want but the attached pics show 20140507_113819.jpg how I do it. I have since added wheel weights. Tire and rim 150# rim guard 550# wheel weights 210# Loaded tire est 910#. Maybe you could borrow a friends engine lifter. You would need to make a lifter bar and chain asmy. I have since modified the lower support arms for additional wheel clearance. I change my wheels bar to turf and turf to bar each spring and fall. My biggest concern was always dropping the wheel and have it act like a coin and wobble around and possibly hurt me and or knock the tractor off the jacks. Later.20140507_113757.jpg20140507_114358.jpg20140507_112727.jpg

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #5  
I, with a helper swapped two loaded 16.9-28s side to side to go from dish out to dish in to narrow the track width.

We made sure to keep them straight up at all times.
I removed the head of a bolt and ground the shank at a taper to guide the wheel back on the hub.

I would not attempt alone, but have done the same size that were NOT loaded alone.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation
I use a pallet jack, I can move the rears on my backhoe by myself, I use a ratchet strap around the tire and the handle in the upright position, doesn't allow you to turn, but you're just rolling straight away from the tractor. Most will pickup in excess of 2,000 lbs

I thought about using a pallet jack, just wasn't sure how I would keep the tire from tipping. Maybe I'll make a custom short pallet that I can slide onto the jack first that has a vertical frame that I can strap the tire to such that the tire will sit directly on the pallet jack and this custom pallet will be between the jack and the tire. This may be my best option since I know I can borrow a pallet jack from work for the weekend when I'm ready.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation
This maybe a bit more than you want but the attached pics showView attachment 565896 how I do it. I have since added wheel weights. Tire and rim 150# rim guard 550# wheel weights 210# Loaded tire est 910#. Maybe you could borrow a friends engine lifter. You would need to make a lifter bar and chain asmy. I have since modified the lower support arms for additional wheel clearance. I change my wheels bar to turf and turf to bar each spring and fall. My biggest concern was always dropping the wheel and have it act like a coin and wobble around and possibly hurt me and or knock the tractor off the jacks. Later.View attachment 565893View attachment 565894View attachment 565895

Thanks for the pics. I have an engine hoist and thought about going that route but I don't have enough room between the cab/fender and the tire to get the top arm through to reach the back. I thought about making kind of an "L" shaped arm that could sit in the hook of the engine hoist and grab the rim from the inside top but not sure it will be stable enough and keep the position well enough to reinstall the tire.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #8  
I’ve done the same size with two buddies helping, without any lift. Yes, it’s heavy but if you go slow, and keep it vertical, it can be done. The idea of using a tapered headless bolt is a great one. That was the hardest part, getting the holes to align. Wish I had thought of that.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #9  
I had to swap the rears and change the disc and wheel orientation on my M4700 loaded 14.9-28's.

The first one I had 2 helpers and we only changed the disc/wheel orientation on 1 tire, did it on grass, laid it down, major pain. The second time I had one helper and did it on concrete, kept it vertical. MUCH easier.

Tapered headless bolt would be handy.

We used a "farm jack" for lifting the tires off and back on to the tractor.

/ Loaded Tire Removal and Reinstallation #10  
I have never taken mine off but often look at my loaded 16.9 X 28's and wonder how I would do it if I had to. There are some very good methods and ideas here. Thanks for sharing !!

gg