Bad Product at Tractor Supply.

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #21  
Anyone looked at one of these fire rings in person?...I'm curious if there is a sticker on them that has "burn off" instructions...it seems unlikely that a corporate product is not fully covered by warning label legalese ??

Maybe the OEM did not intend marketing for this use.

Ron

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply.
Maybe the OEM did not intend marketing for this use.

Ron
Click on the pic to enlarge. Price tag says "CNL Galvanized FIRE Ring".
There's a label on ring at photo -right SKU 1041378

Tractor Supply web site has several different galvanized fire rings available.

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #24  
Re: Bad Product at Tractor Supply.j

That reminds me of an outdoor party we attended several years ago where the host served HoBo stew as a part of the party theme.
Of course, the concoction was brewed and served from a new galvanized garbage can and, as one would predict, it took about two hours for a steady parade of party goers to the bathroom. It wasn稚 until several weeks post party that someone figured out what what was wrong.

B. John

Hah! When I was a boy I'd spend one week each summer at a Boy Scout camp on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. At every lunch and dinner, the cooks offered Kool-Aid, mixed and served from large galvanized trash cans. In my high school chemistry class in 12th grade we studied the periodic table. When the teacher explained that zinc was poisonous in certain concentrations, I told him about the Kool-Aid. He was incredulous!

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply.
Galvanized pipes used for water supply are a common thing. The key factor is heat or acid. Kool-Aid ( cold and slightly acidic) served from a galvanized trash can is minor exposure.

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #28  
See at link the danger >>

I see nothing in that link that suggests that exposure to "campfire" temperature ranges will result in any hazard whatsoever, and my galvanized fire ring has not even discolored after years of use.

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #29  
Galvanized pipes used for water supply are a common thing. The key factor is heat or acid. Kool-Aid ( cold and slightly acidic) served from a galvanized trash can is minor exposure.

Yep, all us scouts were minors. :)

The mess hall kept those trash cans going day and night, all summer.

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #30  
Re: Bad Product at Tractor Supply.j

Hah! When I was a boy I'd spend one week each summer at a Boy Scout camp on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. At every lunch and dinner, the cooks offered Kool-Aid, mixed and served from large galvanized trash cans. In my high school chemistry class in 12th grade we studied the periodic table. When the teacher explained that zinc was poisonous in certain concentrations, I told him about the Kool-Aid. He was incredulous!
I’m no chemist but according to those more learned, the real culprit in the HoBo stew incident was the copious amount of cabbage in the brew that reacted with The galvanized can.
To this day my wife and I don’t eat cabbage. Well, may be except for some well made sauerkraut.

B. John