Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind.

/ Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind. #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
As of 2019 there is no penalty for not having health insurance.

I have had health insurance threw my job for over 4 years, I have only needed it one time when I laid down my motorcycle 3 years ago or so. I’m 28 years old and haven’t been sick in 5+ years, not even a cold, I don’t use my insurance other than maybe a check up once a year.

I pay around $2200 a year for the lowest plan of insurance threw work. Middle plan is $4200 a year and the most expensive is $6200 a year. For one person. Seems like a crazy amount of money for something I have only needed once in at least 4 years.

/ Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind. #4  
You only paying $2200 a year that's not a bad deal these days. Insurance is a game of risk. All it takes is an extended illness or an accident without insurance to financially destroy you. I would not take the gamble.

/ Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind. #5  
A short stay in the hospital will make that $2200 look like chump change.

/ Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind. #6  
My son, 32 year old dropped his insurance a year ago. A moth ago he was diagnosed with late development Type 1 diabetes. He is on insulin for the rest of his life now. He was in the hospital for several days as well. Now he has bills.......

/ Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind. #7  
Maybe I should cancel my house insurance. Forty years and it has never burned down.

This. Don't do it. From what I've read, a US American without health insurance is a recipe for financial ruin.

Scares the he11 out of me... so much so that if I'm visiting family in Canada and, of course, stopping over in Los Angeles, I get Health & Travel insurance for the US.

Oh, and I pay just under A$2,200 for my Private Health here in Aus.

/ Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind. #8  
I JUST spent 4 hrs in the emergency room getting my finger sewn back on.!!!
When I handed my insurance card to the women she "perked up".. & said.. OH.. We'll get u right back"..Lol
& she did.. I still spent 4 hrs tho..
I left the work force back in December of last year & the wife added me to her work insurance.. THANK GOD.!!!

/ Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind. #9  
i believe the biggest cause of bankruptcies in the U.S. is health insurance bills. All insurance is a gamble.

/ Planning on dropping Health Insurance. Change my mind. #10  
I have a gold card as a returned serviceman, it covers all medical costs but still have cover for the family.