Operating on soft wet ground?

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I have to do some work in the ditch (not in a public right of way) on my property and there is standing water and likely some peat. I have to drive in and auger some holes with a hydraulic auger. Not a job I can do with a post hole digger.

I'm looking for suggestions on how not to get stuck. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of rock to put down. I heard in the old days (and maybe still today) people put timbers down.

What suggestions do you have for something preferably free and easy to solve this problem?

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #2  
Cut small trees - lay down as a mat access to the ditch. Move as necessary.

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #3  
I'm trying to imagine augering a hole in standing water and it staying open for use?

/ Operating on soft wet ground?
I'm trying to imagine augering a hole in standing water and it staying open for use?

Me too! I'm thinking I may have to use a trash pump to pump the water out first. But yeah...not expecting this to be easy.

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #5  
The trees should do it, been done for years for logging wet areas or some sheets of 3/4 plywood. Have a buddy with a bigger rig on speed dial too !

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #6  
I've augured holes where the water table was 6" below surface with no problem. Water is not a big deal in (my) soil, compared to rocks and roots.
What is the point of pumping water out? Whatever you put in hole is going to be in water again eventually.

How far do you have to go? I would think anything that spreads weight out over a larger surface would help. A corduroy road from small trees (cheap), planks, plywood, etc..

It's interesting that this company, in trying to dissuade people from using plywood so that they buy their product, actually says: "Awkward: Large plywood sheets are best for creating a road, because they'll cover more area, so you need fewer pieces. However, carrying plywood is difficult and awkward, especially since there are no handholds."
How to Protect a Lawn From Heavy Equipment

...and like Groundcover says" "Have a buddy with a bigger rig on speed dial"! :thumbsup:

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #7  
Standing water and a skid steer with wheels sure sounds like you are going to get stuck. Is this your only option on what to use? Can you rent something that will be able to deal with the mud better like a tractor with a 3 point auger or a skid steer with an auger, or a tractor that you can put your hydraulic auger on the front loader? Am I correct in assuming that you are using a hydraulic auger on the front of your skid steer to do this?

I think branches will cause more problems then solve.

Plywood might work, or it might sink. Matts made out of timbers will work, but you will need a way to pick them up and place them, and from what I've seen, that's a job in itself.

How big and how deep does this hole have to be? Is it just one hole?

During the heat of summer, when its the absolute worse time to be out working in the hard packed clay here, I've gotten out my jack hammer and broke through the soil and then used a variety of tools to get a hole in the ground when I really had to have it done and my tractor wasn't available to hook up my post hole digger. Are you absolutely 100% positive that there is no way to dig this hole with hand tools?

If you get stuck, do you have a way of getting yourself out again?

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #8  
Peat dirt? Hollendale area?

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #9  
All the things mentioned will work, trees, limbs, planks, timbers and you can always throw down some highway fabric first to help the other spread the load.

/ Operating on soft wet ground? #10  
How far from solid ground do you have to reach? How many holes? How much are you willing to spend on a hole? What about an excavator with a hydraulic auger instead of a bucket?