Receiver style trailer winch mount

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #1  

Reb954

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2565
I bought a new trailer last year and just got around to making a winch mount for it.

First I had to move the tongue jack from the front of the deck to the front of the tongue. The holes were predrilled in the tongue so it was just a matter of drilling and welding a new plate to the jack so I could turn it around and mount it.

Next I found some heavy 7" channel iron for the main mount. Drilled a 3/8" plate to mount on the front of the deck and welded the channel to the plate. Added a couple 5/8" x 2-1/2" flats with supports for the receiver and put a stiff leg from the cross member up to the channel. Not shown is a stiffener under the cross member I added for strength.
IMG_0278.JPG IMG_0281.JPG
Here is the winch system I built a few years ago for use on a different trailer and in a pickup receiver. It is a 9,000 lb. Warn winch.
IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG
Here is the mount with a few layers of paint.
IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0298.JPG
Here is the system with the winch mounted and the battery/misc. box pinned to the winch frame.
IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0301.JPG
Next, when I get time, will be to mount a plug on the trailer so I have a charging point for the winch plus what ever else I might need in the future.

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #2  
Nice build!!!

You didn't describe how you are powering the winch??

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #4  
Oh, I must have missed that. Both pics I see with the box, it is closed. I couldn't see any wires going in/out of the box to indicate battery cables?

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #5  
Oh, I must have missed that. Both pics I see with the box, it is closed. I couldn't see any wires going in/out of the box to indicate battery cables?
Not sure, perhaps they are visible from the left side (where the cables enter the winch)?

Aaron Z

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount
A battery is stored in the box and is disconnected from the winch unless the winch is in use. In the pictures of the winch you can see the red plug, the battery has cables attached to it with a matching plug. The winch by itself is pretty heavy so I set it up to move the winch separate from the box which has the battery and misc. items in it.

I originally set this system up so the trailer or pickup I was putting it on didn't have to have any special wiring. It was easy to move it from vehicle to vehicle. Quite a few years ago I had a different trailer this was on. When I wanted to go hunting or just camping I would use the winch to drag my cabover camper up on the trailer, then drive my ATV crossways under the cabover part of the camper. When done with it I could use the winch to drag the camper back off the trailer so it was available for other uses.
Cabover Camper.jpg

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #7  
Very good setup. I believe there's a way to wire it so the truck pulling the trailer can recharge the battery. But you probly already know that.

Nice work.

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount
Yup, I will just wire a plug, same plug as the pickup has, so I can plug into it to charge the battery or run lights if needed. I would plug in the camper in the picture into the trailer to charge the camper battery and run the camper lights. It worked out pretty good.

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #9  
I've saw several winches solid mounted to trailers. I always thought they missed an opportunity to have versatility in the use of that winch. If you wired up a long enough power cord you could use the receiver on the rear of your truck to add more variety to it's use.

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #10  
I have a Warn 12,000 winch on the front of one of my trucks.

I also have a receiver tube on the front. I just unhook the trailer, turn the pu around, hook it to the front and use the winch on the front of my pu.

That way it easily works on all of my trailers, it's much easier to get the trailer in place for all of the winching and the rest of the time, it easily gets the truck out, or someone else out, if stuck.

SR