TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,131  
My 22" .223 and .243 NEFs with OEM plastic stocks are ~ 1 1/2 pounds heavier than my .22" Stevens 200 (AKA poor man's Savage 10) .243 with its Hogue over-molded stock. (a nice stalker, w/Timney 3lb trigger)

I'd get another Axis or an Axis II if there was a caliber I didn't have by now and wanted. (The .350 Legend Axis I just bought is peachy. :cloud9: performs > .30-30 to beyond 200yd with same bullet weight,)

For anything you'd likely hunt .308 is as good as any, better than many, ;) and hard to discern from .30-06 if you keep shots under 400yd. Even I have one. :D

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,132  
Without having a round in the chamber all you have is a hammer, or club! I ALWAYS have a round in the chamber! But that's me!

When hunting, I never have a round in the chamber when traveling with the gun until I'm walking (actually "hunting"), ready to shoot. Generally speaking, with a lever gun, round is in the chamber with the trigger in the forward position, being the "safe" position. My safety is pully the trigger back, which I found is more "natural" for me than working a safty switch located on the side of the receiver.

The very few times out west when I hunted with a bolt action, round was never in the chamber due to the distance, until I was ready to shoot, and safety was always off.

Thats just me...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,133  
No more "gun time" in VA. I sold all my semi-autos to start "go-fund-me" site to relocate a couple of deserving souls to another country.

I'm going back to revolvers, flint locks and muzzle loaders.

Keep up the good posts, I'll have to live vicariously through you guys.

Please, out of respect for this thread ... thou shalt not discuss what happened in VA to make me do this philanthropic act out of the goodness of my heart.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,134  
My new concealed carry piece.

41USYX3j-yL.jpg

TTPs (Tactics Techniques and Procedures) for POU ( Philosophy of Use) changes quite a bit and muscle memory has to be reprogrammed.

Now I have to get baddies or home invaders to get in a single file line so the buffalo bullet can pass through all of them.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,135  
When hunting, I never have a round in the chamber when traveling with the gun until I'm walking (actually "hunting"), ready to shoot. Generally speaking, with a lever gun, round is in the chamber with the trigger in the forward position, being the "safe" position. My safety is pully the trigger back, which I found is more "natural" for me than working a safty switch located on the side of the receiver.

The very few times out west when I hunted with a bolt action, round was never in the chamber due to the distance, until I was ready to shoot, and safety was always off.

Thats just me...

Well as soon as I walk out my door I am hunting/walking...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,136  
Wrung out the cheap Compass rifle I got last year $215 after rebate and FFL fees. Put a decent scope on it that cost nearly twice as much - Vortex Viper 2.5-10.

Shot some .308 Norma Match to dial it in after bore sighting. Got 1.25" group..was thinking not bad for the price.

Tested some hunting loads using the Sierra GameKing 165gr bullets and Varget. Load information is safe in my gun...user beware and follow safe load development protocols in your gun. Best load was 44 gr. Groups below are 5 shots at 100 yards.

Compass Hunting load.jpg

TC165grSierraGameKing.jpg

I bought the Compass to replace my M70 Coyote as it was getting too heavy for me. Figured if it would shoot 1.5 MOA it would be fine for the kind of hunting I do...maximum range of 300 yards. First group is under an inch and the second under 1/4 inch. The darn thing shoots better than my M70 for less than 1/3 the price!

I have a new respect for "cheap" guns.

Amazing

Sorry for the double picture...cannot seem to delete it.

Attachments

• TC165grSierraGameKing.jpg
    TC165grSierraGameKing.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 55
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,137  
Well as soon as I walk out my door I am hunting/walking...

When I was younger, my father and I had to drive to a farm. Empty chamber until we got out of the vechicle.

If I was hunting right now, when I leave my house walking, chamber would have a round in it with the safty off.

If I was hauling a backpack out west, chamber would be empty with safety off.

Better or worse, safeties get in the way IMO if that makes sense.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,138  
I don't hunt, so I don't carry a rifle in the wooded areas. However, I do like to shoot. The firearms are unloaded until I get to my little range.
Now, my carry pistols are on safe when I'm home...but if I'm out and about, the safety is off and there is one in the chamber. My holsters cover the triggers so little chance of a negligent discharge.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,139  
When I was younger, my father and I had to drive to a farm. Empty chamber until we got out of the vechicle.

If I was hunting right now, when I leave my house walking, chamber would have a round in it with the safty off.

If I was hauling a backpack out west, chamber would be empty with safety off.

Better or worse, safeties get in the way IMO if that makes sense.

Thought about it last night.

In high school hunting deer, always drove to the "farm" with guns inside vehicle completely unloaded, no rounds inside the weapon, let alone chamber.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,140  
I have never kept an unloaded weapon. Probably not easy on the magazine springs but have never had a magazine fail.