Pisten Bully 400 service and operations

/ Pisten Bully 400 service and operations #141  
Since you seem to like posting pictures... Some pictures of the plow and an explanation of what each section does would be interesting.

Also I've been curious about funding for the trail grooming program. Do trail users pay a fee?

/ Pisten Bully 400 service and operations
: Pisten Bully plow

In this post, I'll cover its plow. Its largely like any other old snow plow with a few exceptions which follows. These are U shaped so as to carry snow in front of the machine and this will roll it many times before you run over it. This knocks lots and lots air from snow with will make your trail much firmer and last longer... These blades are also "all way" which means all angles are adjustable. When we come to a corner in the trail, we'll try to keep it banked. Or if you have snow banks on one side, we'll then angle the blade a bit and push snow across the trail, keeping it flat. These blades have hardened toothed edges, rather than normal plows flat ones. When the operator goes down the trail, they should have one hand on the joy stick, making frequent but slight adjustments. Oh and we push the snow back when we cross roads so as to make a nice ramp off/on the trail, plus we need to give snowmobiles better visibility. This is the only time when are really "plowing" snow.

Its more complicated than that, but that's the basics in my small mind.

Since you seem to like posting pictures... Some pictures of the plow and an explanation of what each section does would be interesting.

Also I've been curious about funding for the trail grooming program. Do trail users pay a fee?

Attachments

• PB400 blade.jpg
    PB400 blade.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Pb1090927.jpg
    Pb1090927.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 93
   / Pisten Bully 400 service and operations #143  
That's a good enough explanation for me.

What about the float in the rear?

/ Pisten Bully 400 service and operations #144  
Sounds more like a light 6 way dozer blade than a snow plow really.

I'd be curious to hear about the controls & displays in the cab.

This is what the display and controls look like, in a trail bully anyway like ours anyway. These aren't all that good but I just stole them off the web... I can take some of the machine I run next time I'm out. We've got a blizzard moving in on Monday..

Sounds more like a light 6 way dozer blade than a snow plow really.

I'd be curious to hear about the controls & displays in the cab.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 105
  • csm_m5-1-pistenbully-cockpit-gesamt-400_85ae790023.jpg
    csm_m5-1-pistenbully-cockpit-gesamt-400_85ae790023.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Yes they do and must buy a seasonal trail pass, which I believe is $35 for in state purchasers. The state of MI is putting more $$$ into the system. Here is a good photo of the blade with its cutting edges.

Attachments

• P1090183.jpg
    P1090183.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 96
   / Pisten Bully 400 service and operations #147  
Last I knew,the trail permit was $45.

I thought it was high at $15,but I'm thrifty!

Around here,the groomer operators are volunteer.

After one heck of a warm up lasting a week, and then a all-day rain yesterday,,,, we finally cooled off and received more than a ft today. So I'll be out in the morning. :dance1:

Here is better photos of the controls. Some are on the ceiling which I forgot about... I took these as I was warming the beast up this am. This machine has over 8000 hours on it so nothing looks new. Note the worn out paint on the forward/reverse control button located on the steering column. The joy stick is how we control the all-way blade and the implement. Gee, we got lots of new snow out there. More to follow!

This is what the display and controls look like, in a trail bully anyway like ours anyway. These aren't all that good but I just stole them off the web... I can take some of the machine I run next time I'm out. We've got a blizzard moving in on Monday..

Attachments

• P1100257.jpg
    P1100257.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 91
  • P1100260.jpg
    P1100260.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 100
One of my cohorts called me tonight to say he had smelled oil, called our boss who said to turn around and return to the barn. He wasn't all the far out. I'll head out in the am to try see where the oil was leaking. All in fun when you operate an old machine.......