Posthole Digger TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success
I posted the first post in this thread. We were pretty careful about placement of the holes using the 9 inch auger, but while putting in the 4x6 and laminated 4.5x6 posts we found ourselves hand carving off the sides and/or fronts for proper placement. With that in mind, if I had it to do again, I think I'd get the 12 inch auger. I'm not sure if that would be more likely to shear bolts though.

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success #12  
Usually they recommend using an auger 3x the size of the post. That extra size is more important when laying out a building where you need to align posts, or when using the auger on an incline.

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success #13  
I have a 12 inch and 6 inch. The 6 inch was a mistake. It's just about impossible to dig into the ground with it and not bury it. In hind site, my reasoning for buying it was flawed and it will probably just sit for all eternity. the 12 inch is perfect for almost everything. But even with it's larger size, I still have to modify a few holes to get my fence line straight.

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success #14  
My wife is ordering several trees, and a big assortment of berries and grapes, to plant when we go to Tennessee in a few weeks. I plan to get a post hole digger, and am considering an 18" auger to dig hols for some of the plants. We will be sinking several 6x6 posts a little later. Is the 18" auger too big for those?

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success #15  
I've never met a plant that didn't fit nicely in a 12inch hole. I think a 18inch hole is going to be massive!!!!

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success #16  
My Sweetie is the grow person in the family.. I am the definition of "black thumb".........

I do run the power equipment for her, and she has planted many berry bushes native to the north bush here.. Her method is to prepare a $100 hole for a $10 bush. We use a 12" auger for this kind of job.. Drill a hole as deep as possible, fill 7/8 full of donkey yard, chicken barn, rabbit barn, or all 3, top with potting soil, use the dirt from the hole to mound around the hole to hold water.. Use 4 re-bar 5' long to stake down a 4' tall woven wire fence cage around the new bush to keep it moose and bear proof. Works reasonably well.. Moose will browse off the plants, bears will wallow down the cage just to fuss with it...

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success #17  
My wife is ordering several trees, and a big assortment of berries and grapes, to plant when we go to Tennessee in a few weeks. I plan to get a post hole digger, and am considering an 18" auger to dig hols for some of the plants. We will be sinking several 6x6 posts a little later. Is the 18" auger too big for those?

It would be best to check and get a digger that's rated for the maximum sized auger you intend to use.

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success #18  

I've never seen a 18" auger for sale for a compact tractor's 3 point phd. Even if I could find one I'd be worried the typical light-weight phd wouldn't last long using such a monster. I've seen 24 inch augers on contractor grade units but the are a lot beefier all the way around than what we use. My Country Line has all the pivot holes on the boom elongating after hundreds of holes and years of use. Makes it sloppy and wander more, but still works fine.

I have both a 9" and 12" auger. I find myself using the 12" for everything from railroad ties to 4x4's as you have to be less careful about drilling straight, the auger moving sideways as you drill, etc. Back filling a little bigger hole is easier than re-drilling. The bigger hole makes it easier to align posts. If it is rocky I bring in either clean dirt or concrete for backfill. Tree roots will drive you crazy too when drilling holes. They can be worse than rocks!

One time years ago my son drilled the auger all the way to gear box in some fairly soft wet ground without even breaking the soil. It was about like a screw going into wood. We had to dig it out by hand! Wasn't much fun.

/ TSC CountyLine Post Hole Digger Success #19  
Digging holes today for posts to protect apple trees to be planted in a pasture
1E808EDA-A3A4-4F38-8525-373C763E9481.jpeg