How far would you travel for the right tractor?

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #1  

breedtractor

Tractor
JD 4300
I've looked at a number of tractors now, and my wife thinks I'm crazy for driving an hour and a half after looking at pictures to see if one might be the one. How far have you driven to inspect a potential tractor?

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #2  
Not a tractor but 3 1/2 hours one way for my wife's horse.......:rolleyes:

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #3  
Well, the first tractor I bought in early 2017, I drove 550 miles each way. The second one I bought last year, I almost drove 650 miles each way, but opted to pay for a delivery service (hotshot). My neighbor just drove 650 miles each way to pick up his tractor.

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #4  
It's a 1.5 hour one-way trip to my JD Dealership... mind you, due to where I live, that's the same time to most of the other tractor dealerships.

They do have mobile-repair utes, which I haven't had to avail myself of. They also delivered both of my tractors and all of my implements.

Still, I manage to pop-in whenever I'm in the area. Good people and always ready to answer my questions, including mechanical.

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor?
When you've purchased a tractor far from home, did you make two trips, or how did you ensure it was going to be good? Lots of pics? Have you ever arrived only to find it wasn't what you expected?

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #6  
If you really are buying and not just kicking tires, and have thoroughly researched the tractor, and looked at pictures and discussed the tractor with seller over the phone. Discussed maintenance history. Also discussed best and final pricing. Made an appointment to view the tractor. Then I have driven 480 miles one way with a trailer, and stayed overnight at a hotel locally and nearby to the seller.

After viewing and test driving the used tractor, we again discussed maintenance history. Made payment by cashier's check and while the transfer paperwork was being finalized, we loaded up the tractor and chained it down for return trip.

While I was there, another buyer of a used tractor just asked for delivery and paid extra for that delivery, because he had no trailer big enough to move his tractor.

I would emphasize to do as much research and discussion over the phone, prior to making any long drive to view the tractor. Assuming there is no hidden damage to the tractor a photo would not show (like a bad clutch or emissions issues), you are making the trip to view a tractor and purchase the tractor.

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #7  
I drove from Southern Ontario to North of Deluth MN to get a Wood Chipper. Had a friend pick me up a Stump Grinder in South Carolina.

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #8  
It depends...

If it is new, probably not all that far because the tractors will be about the same. Price would be pretty close as well. Service is just about the same as well, as everyone will try to placate you for the sale, so unless something is really bad/outstandingly good, it will all be about the same.

With used equipment, it is another story. You have to get just the right one, so it might be halfway across the country...

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #9  
Some guys are willing to spend a dollar in order to save a penny.

If you enjoy driving long distances, don’t care about fuel costs and your time is free (not turning down paid work), then getting a deal is more important than how far you are willing to go.

If the cost of shipping PLUS the item is significantly lower than buying local Id ship it. I would need to save more than a grand if Im going to waste a day picking something up.

If its a big ticket item and service is an issue Id probably try and buy local, even if it costs more. Especially if I have to pay to return ship an item for warranty service. I got burned once buying off amazon from a seller that sold and shipped the item. It didnt perform as promised and it cost me more to return ship than the item was worth. So Im now stuck with a POS item I cant use. I now only buy from amazon if I get free return shipping.

/ How far would you travel for the right tractor? #10  
Not long drive if it's something your interested in that way you'll get answer one way or another.