Snake "proofing" blue bird nests?

/ Snake "proofing" blue bird nests? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Yesterday morning, mr black snake sitting on the fence post.

S.png

Had all the dogs outside with me when I was walking back with the newspaper, and wanted to take them in before removing the snake because it would of been a ***** show with 4 loose dogs and me carrying a black snake.

Came back out, and surprised the snake was already getting into the birdhouse.

The black cone under the birdhouse isn't for snakes, but for squirrels. My wife bought these birdhouses and we found that due to the length of pole, it added more stability to mount them next to the fence post (first mistake I now know).

My first thought was to raise the "squirrel guard" up higher. I didn't see how the snake got up, but assume the fence post was close enough that the snake just lifted himself up over it from the post onto the squirrel guard.

That said, it all may be a loosing battle anyways.

I did read that using bird netting could help (which we have a bunch of for our blueberries, ironically enough due to the birds), where the snake gets caught in the netting and then you can cut them free and release them.

Could drop nest from trees instead of using the fence post as well another option, but then I see the snake coming down instead of up.

Just wondering from everyones experiences what you all do trying to "snake proof" a pre fab birds nest. We've had these for a couple of years, always seem to get blue bird families year after year which my wife loves. Never seemed to have a snake issue before, but now that one knows where the dinner table is at, would like to take precautions for next year.

Don't want to kill non venomous snakes, and understand that they're only trying to survive, just looking for a better deterrent if available.

/ Snake "proofing" blue bird nests? #2  
I don't have the type of snakes that will get into my bird houses. At least, I've never seen one getting near them. I have bird houses all over/around/on my outbuildings.

Those that would probably be the MOST snake proof. I have three typical looking bird houses hanging on long wires from the eves of my larger carport. These wires are about six feet long - top of the bird house to connection on the underside of the eves.

I really don't think a snake could somehow clamp onto the underside of the eve and extend down the six feet to the top of the birdhouse. I don't think they could clamp onto the wire either - going up or down.

I have garter snakes, rubber boas, bull snakes and western rattle snakes.

/ Snake "proofing" blue bird nests? #3  
I have seen snakes climb a wall, not much will stop them, in summer we have had them sunning themselves on the roof of the house, I can only assume they go up the inside of the walls and slip out through the tiles.

/ Snake "proofing" blue bird nests? #5  
blue jays are not worth helping, I've seen them eating the eggs of other, much better birds!.. it's really terrible what they do!..

Last edited:
   / Snake "proofing" blue bird nests? #6  
   / Snake "proofing" blue bird nests? #7  
Blue birds not blue Jay's. Two different birds
blue birds are not worth helping, I've seen them eating the eggs of other, much better birds!.. it's really terrible what they do!..

/ Snake "proofing" blue bird nests? #9  
Yesterday morning, mr black snake sitting on the fence post.

View attachment 662286

Had all the dogs outside with me when I was walking back with the newspaper, and wanted to take them in before removing the snake because it would of been a ***** show with 4 loose dogs and me carrying a black snake.

Came back out, and surprised the snake was already getting into the birdhouse.

The black cone under the birdhouse isn't for snakes, but for squirrels. My wife bought these birdhouses and we found that due to the length of pole, it added more stability to mount them next to the fence post (first mistake I now know).

My first thought was to raise the "squirrel guard" up higher. I didn't see how the snake got up, but assume the fence post was close enough that the snake just lifted himself up over it from the post onto the squirrel guard.

That said, it all may be a loosing battle anyways.

I did read that using bird netting could help (which we have a bunch of for our blueberries, ironically enough due to the birds), where the snake gets caught in the netting and then you can cut them free and release them.

Could drop nest from trees instead of using the fence post as well another option, but then I see the snake coming down instead of up.

Just wondering from everyones experiences what you all do trying to "snake proof" a pre fab birds nest. We've had these for a couple of years, always seem to get blue bird families year after year which my wife loves. Never seemed to have a snake issue before, but now that one knows where the dinner table is at, would like to take precautions for next year.

Don't want to kill non venomous snakes, and understand that they're only trying to survive, just looking for a better deterrent if available.

It appears to be an Eastern black King snake...they eat venomous snakes and are one of the best snakes to have around...

/ Snake "proofing" blue bird nests? #10  
Snake "proofing" blue bird nests?

What worked for me is to put a galvanized stove pipe about 2-3' long over the top of the post (with a cap on top of the pipe). Snakes will keep going around the post and go inside the pipe where they get stopped. The outside is slippery enough to prevent raccoons from climbing up.

Google "nest box baffle" here nest box baffle - Google Search

And here's a good sketch/plan:

http://www.virginiabluebirds.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/BB_Guards_Revised_12-11-2012.pdf

^^^ This ^^^

IMG_0173.JPG