GPS recommendations

/ GPS recommendations #31  
We do too. Sometimes you just need to see the big picture. It’s not unheard of to program a particular waypoint in a route specifically to guarantee a certain way of getting from point A to B.

You are a glutton for punishment if you try to compose a complex route directly on a GPS. I often plot 100 mile routes cross country with over 40 shaping points to force the route to the roads I want to take. I use Garmin Basecamp. I don't have much love for Basecamp's interface or reliability but I've figured out how to make it work until Garmin replaces this ignored software.

On the fly I will tell the Garmin to route to the destination and leave "automatic recalculation" turned on. If it tries to send me on a road I know I don't like I simply go the way I want then the GPS reconsiders and figures how to get there the way I'm going.

When using my carefully crafted routes I turn recalculation off because slightest deviation from the route can cause the GPS to throw everything away in favor of a new path of its choosing.

/ GPS recommendations #32  
Adding a single waypoint to an existing route is easy and does not require me to have additional software.
As always, there are more than one way to accomplish things, just as there are more than one way to get places.

If I had 40 waypoints surely I would be looking for other solutions.

/ GPS recommendations #33  
Adding a single waypoint to an existing route is easy and does not require me to have additional software.
As always, there are more than one way to accomplish things, just as there are more than one way to get places.

If I had 40 waypoints surely I would be looking for other solutions.

Editing routes on Garmin GPS is clumsy. However one can ad hoc set a destination then set another destination then be asked if this is a new route or should be added to existing as next destination? One can build a hand crafted route this way so long as one knows enough in advance to add the waypoints from destination first working back to the start. Goof and start over.

/ GPS recommendations #34  
Editing routes on Garmin GPS is clumsy. However one can ad hoc set a destination then set another destination then be asked if this is a new route or should be added to existing as next destination? One can build a hand crafted route this way so long as one knows enough in advance to add the waypoints from destination first working back to the start. Goof and start over.

Yeah. I think at this point I have it down. Been using them for heading for 20 years.

/ GPS recommendations
Trust me, at any price there are few GPSs better than this 7" refurbished Garmin for $110. I own two. I also own a $700 Garmin Zumo 595. Much happier with the DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S. The 595 does some motorcycle things the 61 does not but that is all. The 61 will update itself if you connect to WiFi.

Price good through September 6, 2020.

Garmin DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S 6.95" Refurbished GPS w/ 1 Year Warranty

As it turns out, I decided on the Garmin Drive 61 USA LM which is almost the same thing...$119 new from Amazon. Should have it end of next week.
Thanks for all the info!

/ GPS recommendations #36  
i have the Garmin Drive 61. it does not have wifi capabilities. which is fine by me.

/ GPS recommendations
i have the Garmin Drive 61. it does not have wifi capabilities. which is fine by me.

Wifi isn't important to me, don't have it at the house anyway, why pay extra for something I'll never use. Figure it's easy enough to do updates thru a computer.

/ GPS recommendations #38  
Actually, i looked at instructions on my garmin61, and it does not have wifi, but apparently there is a model-of the 61 that does. Weird. Why not give it a different number. Anyways, i dint use any bluetooth junk. Not in house, not in car.

Dont want my gps communicating with my phone. I do use wifi in the house. Need it to get hulu and netflix on tv, to use my ipad, etc.

Personally, ill never use any 5G device. Dont trust it. Dont need it. Im now retired so i dont need to use phone fir business any longer. I dont play gaming online, dont need to stream anything any faster.

The only thing i wish for is for Ziply to bring fiber to my place, which they say is on the way. Its cheaper than the system i use now

/ GPS recommendations #39  
I run a Garmin 580 series in my truck and really am not as happy with it as I thought I would be. I bought it for the speed limit warning capabilities because the company I work for has very strict speed limit termination policy. Wander into a speed zone at 15 over twice willl get you terminated. 10 over 3 times will get you terminated. Five over will get you put on a company wide email list and if you stay on that list, it will cost you your safety bonus. Needless to say, they take speeding serious. I run the Garmin and my phone almost all the time just to keep an idea of what they think the speed limit is and 1 to get me to where I am going. The truck GPS wants to take roads way out of the way, on routes I know that there is a better way. I watch the speed limit signs and laugh at the GPS because it is almost always wrong when on anything less than an Interstate, and even then it is suspect! The phone is wrong alot also, but not as much. Getting the speed limits to match roads accurately requires a lot to get it right and apparently whoever is writing the software or doing the work to put Garmin technology together isn't doing the work or doing it correctly.
As far as using a GPS to take me places, as others have mentioned, make sure you check it with a map before you start out!!
David from jax

/ GPS recommendations #40  
i dont know , my garmin 61 hasnt got me lost yet. speedd listed match signs pretty closely. when i do repairs on some of our very "rural" roads, they dont even post the address of the house, much less the street signs. i think some of these nutters think the government cant find them if they dont post their address. but i can find them with the Garmin.