New pollution-free excavator demonstration

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Some genius created a new excavator consisting of a metal blade on the end of a stick.

Dozens of potential customers are watching a demonstration.

Shovel-watchers.jpg

Bruce

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration #2  
And the point of this post is?

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration
No point, just an interesting old photo that makes one wonder why so many people are watching shoveling out in the empty countryside.

This is the photo section. :)

Bruce

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration #4  
It looks like a war time slave labor camp.

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration
Caption at source: "View of construction in Colorado; shows a crowd of men, rocks, and excavation."

Bruce

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration #6  
I'll take the one in the background... the bulldozer with somebody sitting on the hood.

It's always interesting to look at old pictures, although I'm thankful for Mr Hydraulics to do the work for me.

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration #7  
Possible depression-era New Deal works project.

During a Navy port visit to Jakarta I noted that very few excavators were being used throughout the city, particularly on roadworks... it was all being done with shovels and 'baskets'. Labour was so cheap that it was more efficient, and probably faster, to use multiple people than earth-moving equipment.

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration #8  
I'm guessing the outhouse isn't considered as a source of pollution.

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration #9  
I'm guessing the outhouse isn't considered as a source of pollution.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I think it must be a classroom; it appears that there about 10 times more observers than shovelers... :rolleyes: and looking at the trucks, I'm guessing they are about 1932-34 model Fords, so the picture is fairly modern, historically speaking. Even so, as the old saying goes, "It still takes a shovel to dig a hole". It also reminds me of how far we have come in the last century. Labor was really labor. My Dad was a construction superintendent during WWII; he started out loading dump trucks in a rock quarry in the 30's...BY HAND.

/ New pollution-free excavator demonstration #10  
Possible depression-era New Deal works project.

During a Navy port visit to Jakarta I noted that very few excavators were being used throughout the city, particularly on roadworks... it was all being done with shovels and 'baskets'. Labour was so cheap that it was more efficient, and probably faster, to use multiple people than earth-moving equipment.

I have heard that before; in some countries, there are people that need the work, and a lot of them. The story I heard was of a group of men...in India I think...that were cutting a lawn by hand, using shears instead of a lawn mower. Thank Heaven for Western civilization...we are so blessed.