How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete?

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #11  
Back in the late 70s during the Carter era, my old man fell for an electric tractor. It was called an ElecTrak E-20. It had a front mount mower. Same principal as whats being proposed today.
Back in the 50s and 60s my grandfather bought several of the Philadelphia Post Office battery powered delivery trucks. He sold the aluminum bodies off them.
Folks, none of this is new. Battery powered cars were available 100 years ago. Battery powered vehicles go back almost as far as combustion engine vehicles.
What is new is the battery technology and the leap in microchip computer controls.

Attachments

• FE459D85-E782-4F26-89C1-5C6757AFE694.jpeg
    FE459D85-E782-4F26-89C1-5C6757AFE694.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 253
   / How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #12  
Well, spend $30k on a tractor that u can only use 4 hrs/day, then in 5-6 years, have to spend another $5K (approx) to replace all the batteries that are failing....

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #14  
   / How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #15  
The two things they don't mention is how easy or difficult the retro will be... and the price. I'm surprised they are mating it to an outdated AT, when there are so many other options available.

It says they're planning on using an electronically controlled 4sp AT. Everything remains stock from the transfer case back.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #16  
How will the afterburners work on an air force electric fighter? Going to need a tad more r+d.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #17  
California has rolling blackouts now...more battery powered vehicles will only make that worse when they mandate electric vehicles.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #18  
Worked as a electric lineman for 39 years.Everyone has grand plans for electric cars, trucks,tractors and so on.I am here to tell you the electric power grid will not handle it.The grid can barely keep up now.Most of the power grids were built back in the 30,s 40,50,s and 1960,s with minimal upgrades.Just some food for thought.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #19  
Consider if you will ....

Smallish combustion engine to power a generator that powers what does the work. Same as locomotives that haul freight cross country.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #20  
Consider if you will ....

Smallish combustion engine to power a generator that powers what does the work. Same as locomotives that haul freight cross country.

Hybrid does appear to be a great alternative, probably not scalable down to the compact tractor size at a reasonable cost?