How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete?

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #61  
Arent all these batteries going to present a disposal problem? Lots of extra mining/pollution for rare earth metals extraction? Its not like batteries are a free lunch.
I can see battery technology also forcing improvements on ICEs to the point where they become much more efficient and less polluting. Cummins wont go down without a fight.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #62  
If we don't try though, things will always remain the same. Imagine if Neil Armstrong had said "I don't feel like going down that ladder"?

He didn稚 have to pay for his ticket there as I recall.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #63  
Like it or don't like it, it's still interesting technology...

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #64  
Arent all these batteries going to present a disposal problem? Lots of extra mining/pollution for rare earth metals extraction? Its not like batteries are a free lunch.
I can see battery technology also forcing improvements on ICEs to the point where they become much more efficient and less polluting. Cummins wont go down without a fight.

Most of the metal is recoverable. No, batteries aren't a free lunch; nothing is. I don't think we'll replace the ICE as soon as some claim either. Yet it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years.
Improved battery technology can help in many ways. One of my last goals before I retire in a couple of years is to have a remote camp; I'm seriously considering a Prius to get me there, which will then run some of the conveniences I've grown accustomed to. And that's just one minor thing which can come out of improved technology..

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #65  

Cummins will probably be making more job site generators to charge the EV backhoes. The CASE one we're discussing here says it will work for an average 8 hour backhoe day. Some days less like concrete hammering, some days more with just loader work. But it has to be plugged in for about 8 hours to charge overnight. Where we gonna plug it in on the worksite > a Cummins powered diesel generator. So we now have a diesel engine running 8 hours to keep a diesel engine from running 8 hours.... :rolleyes:

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #66  

One of the contractors cutting wood for me has two relatively new John Deere skidders... they're so quiet going through the woods all that I hear is the chains rattling. Contrast that to the old 540 on another job... he was 1/2 mile away yet I could just head toward the sound of his machine to find out where he was.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #67  
Big Muskie - Worlds largest electric dragline. Powered by 13,800 volt electric drop cord. All that's left today is the bucket in a park. Two Greyhound busses could fit in the bucket.

SmartSelect_20201030-223106_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20201030-223010_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20201030-222627_Chrome.jpg

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #68  

They said the production version will have the same paint and color scheme as the diesel. That was the deal killer for me. If I can't have the leather wheel and metallic orange paint I'm out.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #69  

Shhh...you don’t wanna wake everyone up from the dream...

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #70  
Electric vehicle success is going to depend largely on solar affordability. I think it has been coming down but haven't done any research to support that notion. I have seen a large solar field just east of me. The panels are on automated pivots that follow the sun. I'm talking several hundred acres as far as the eye can see.

Most of us have some solar panels in use. I have been pleased with my limited use of panels to keep batteries charged.

The problem with solar on equipment that operates during the day is the need for a separate battery bank. The solar panels will need to charge an idle battery bank during the day to then transfer that charge to the batteries that are parked at night