Buying Advice Skid steer or 1460

/ Skid steer or 1460 #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Hey all

So my wonderful 1850 is really showing wear. Last night i foend the holes connection the rollover arm to the connecting plate elongating. Probably what will happen is nect year i will take the machine off line and tear it down and improve it bur that said i brought up adding a 1460 to the fleet. I would keep the 1850 but put more abuse on the 1460. But tHe wife asked the hard question. Why not a skid steer. I need to check with terry but i think my implements cross over but outside of that i didnt have an answer because i have never has a skid. Any experienced thoughts?

/ Skid steer or 1460 #2  
I've only used skid steers on pretty level ground. Though i did get a bit forward on the crown of a hill, and pulled it back up with my full sized bronco. They're fast and pivot wonderfully. Never used one with track though.

/ Skid steer or 1460 #3  
I have an 1850 and a small skidsteer. Often rent larger ones when needed. Idk how you use the 1850 beyond mowing, but the ss slope performance isn't in the same league as the 1850 from efficiency to safety. With the exceptions of lift capacity and pivot turn the skidsteer does not offer much in property management operations over the 1850.

The 1460 will not have the benefits of the 1850 surface area /wide stance on soft ground. Neither will the ss,w exceptions a few low ground pressure configurations .

/ Skid steer or 1460 #4  
What kind of terrain are you planning on operating the skid steer on? I've seen many skid steers just tear the living %^&! out of the ground getting themselves unstuck. Tracked skid steer doesn't have those issues VS wheeled skid steer. If I was going to get into the the costs of a tracked skid steer, I'd be tempted to compare it to the costs of a compact telehandler or toolcat.

I'd think a 1460 would be a great machine for moving logs, loader work, brush clearing, forks, etc....

You've got some hard choices to weigh there, that's for sure. :)

/ Skid steer or 1460 #5  
Do you work alone? With the skid steer, you can't get out of the cab with the arms raised. That is enough of an answer for me, that and the PT is easier to get in and out of. But if you get a brand name skid steer it will be better made and designed especially with high flow and all the different attachments that will get you. They lift higher, have more travel in the attachment tilt, have a universal quick attach with cheap more plentiful used implements. Skid steers will tear up your lawn, most will have a quieter engine. Unless you get an older one, they are much more advanced with many more control options, switches and safety features (that someday will need to be fixed). They probably have less or similar ground clearance, but when the going gets tough, all the wheels will drive. Tough choice.

/ Skid steer or 1460 #6  
What kind of terrain are you planning on operating the skid steer on? I've seen many skid steers just tear the living %^&! out of the ground getting themselves unstuck. Tracked skid steer doesn't have those issues VS wheeled skid steer. If I was going to get into the the costs of a tracked skid steer, I'd be tempted to compare it to the costs of a compact telehandler or toolcat.

I'd think a 1460 would be a great machine for moving logs, loader work, brush clearing, forks, etc....

You've got some hard choices to weigh there, that's for sure. :)

Or the JCB with the side boom that allow you to get out with the arm raised.

/ Skid steer or 1460 #7  
Apples and oranges in my book.

What would you do with the 1460/skid steer?

All the best,

Peter

/ Skid steer or 1460 #8  
I will stipulate that Power Tracs are cool, but they are not as robust as a skid steer. If Power Tracs were all that, there wouldn't be a skid steer market, and every contractor would own a Power Trac. If you like the articulating feature, buy this:

/ Skid steer or 1460 #9  
Or This:

/ Skid steer or 1460 #10  
Or This: