My Front Gate Project

/ My Front Gate Project
Mine works fantastic, it even works with the Kawasaki Mule. I have it resting on a cinder block so nobody accidentally runs it over.

/ My Front Gate Project #82  
Mine works fantastic, it even works with the Kawasaki Mule. I have it resting on a cinder block so nobody accidentally runs it over.
Wait until one of the goats picks up a steel can and learns to walk out the gate......:goat:

/ My Front Gate Project #83  
Before deciding on which opener to buy, I did a bunch of online searches to read as many reviews as I could, and watched more Youtube videos then I can remember. What's funny is that I never heard of the GTO opener. It never came up in any of my searches.

I think they bought Mighty Mule but might be mistaken. The GTO version like I have is much faster and is definitely heavier and better built. My best friend has the mighty mule setup on dual gates. Takes much longer to open but they still work well. The unit I have is more like entry level commercial verses residential grade.

Last edited:
   / My Front Gate Project #84  
Took the gate cylinders apart this weekend. There was more than a cup of water in both of them. Cleaned out the weep holes, greased and put back together. My son also leveled one of the gates. Gates now open a lot faster. I hope they don't freeze but will have to wait for a few days to check. So guys remember to check the weep holes on everything this winter. I am lucky it didn't crack the plastic cases.

/ My Front Gate Project #85  
Get well Eddie...

/ My Front Gate Project #86  
i have ours buried about 1 foot underground just off the road, which is how the instructions said ot install it. It works perfectly. It won't pick up a bicycle but it will pickup anything golf cart size or larger.

/ My Front Gate Project #87  
Interesting that you used black ink outside. I'm not sure it will hold up. Sun exposure tends to bleach color out of dyes, so it will depend on what it is made of. If it is full carbon black, then it should hold up fine, but if it is made from ink dyes then it will probably bleach out. It takes inorganic pigments to hold up outdoors (which carbon black would be). That is why you use paint pens for making outdoor signs and not sharpies as the sharpies fade in the sun very fast. Titanium dioxide is the most common inorganic pigment (TiO2) as it is white, so gets blended with a lot of things, especially in paints. A lot of metal oxides are used for these - Cobalt, Nickel, Iron, etc and the heavy metals in the old days Lead (thus the name "lead paint") and mercury, etc. but those are pretty well banned due to toxicity. The heavy metal pigments were super stable which is why they were used for so long, but as people became more aware of the toxicity concerns, that changed.

/ My Front Gate Project #88  
His link said the ink is non-fading 100% carbon pigmented, so he should be fine.