46 Blower Questions

/ 46 Blower Questions #1  

dconrad246

Tractor
Just got a used 46 snow thrower and it didn't have the short driveshaft. Does anyone know if the shaft off a broom or the shaft off a 60 inch deck would work as a substitute? Or is there someware i can go to get one for cheap? Going to check with the used parts guys around here but don't want to drive 3 hours if i can help it.

/ 46 Blower Questions #2  
   / 46 Blower Questions #3  
I went to a machine shop and told the owner what I wanted. He pieced it all together out of his parts catalogue and ordered the parts. I took it all home and cut the splined part to length and I had a driveshaft. It was about $300 CAD. There was no welding involved.

59 snow blower pto shaft.jpg

You can just notice the end of the splined shaft beside the u-joint. That was the end I needed to cut off to make the shaft the correct length. It doesn't look exactly like the John Deere shaft but it works and was considerably cheaper

You could also check with Surplus Supply to see if they have a surplus shaft that would work. Also a pto and driveline shop would be able to set you up with the parts you need.

/ 46 Blower Questions #4  
My first thought would be a trip to Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply and look over their PTO shaft parts. Like PMS above says. you most likely will find what you need off the shelf some place.

Richard

/ 46 Blower Questions
I don't know for sure the length but could I just use the one off the mower deck? Not a lot of grass to mow in the winter sooo...

/ 46 Blower Questions
And I wasn't able to find anyone who has just the shaft used around here. The problem with going to the store is its an hour drive there and I am not sure Exactly what i need without having the tractor with me. might just drag it down there but don't want to. That's the main reason I am wondering about the deck shaft. Can just swap it at the end of the year and I wont lose it.

/ 46 Blower Questions #7  
I don't know, give it a try and let us know what you find.

/ 46 Blower Questions #8  
That's the main reason I am wondering about the deck shaft. Can just swap it at the end of the year and I wont lose it.

If you look in jd parts, the yoke that slides onto the PTO stub from the tranny to your mower deck is the same part # as the yoke that connects to the long PTO shaft to the short PTO shaft for the snow thrower.. (M131889). So that end looks like it would work.
But the other end of the short shaft doesn't look like it will fit the two different gear boxes (mower deck and snow thrower).

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/82667/referrer/navigation/pgId/20342910

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/68912/referrer/navigation/pgId/2721807

Take a look and see what you find when you try to get the mower shaft to connect to the snow thrower. Will be interesting to learn if it works.

/ 46 Blower Questions
Didnt fit on the snowblower end but the other end fit.

/ 46 Blower Questions
Ok. Found a shaft from a 47 blower that is supposedly the same. BUT this one was attached to the gear box with a spring pin and not a bolt. should it be a bolt on the 46 blower?