How to read the dipstick?

/ How to read the dipstick? #1  

Tractor
Nortrac NT-254B
Nortrac 254. Probably a silly question but how are the screw-in dipsticks for the front axle, transmission...etc meant to be read? Do you screw them all them all the way in to read or just stick them in to the top of the first thread?

/ How to read the dipstick? #2  
Have no idea. But it is not a silly question. My Kubota was documented in the owners manual as far as reading it.
Nortrac 254. Probably a silly question but how are the screw-in dipsticks for the front axle, transmission...etc meant to be read? Do you screw them all them all the way in to read or just stick them in to the top of the first thread?

/ How to read the dipstick? #3  
The front axle on my Kubota M6040 has three plugs. Fill, check oil level and drain. The fill plug also has a dip stick built in to it. When the oil level is correct - a small trickle drains out the "check oil level" plug hole. To get a "full" reading on the fill plug dip stick - I have to screw the fill plug back into axle.

It probably does not make a whole lot of difference which way you choose to read the dip stick. Screwed all the way back in or just sitting on top. Choose your method and do it the same every time.

If the method was hyper-critical - it should indicate a specific method in your Op Manual.

/ How to read the dipstick? #4  
Having good lube and no water is probably more important than actual full level. I have always had the same questions about my Jinma 284. The book says nothing other than fill. The only hint is that the front axle capacity is 6L.
The important level to achieve is high enough to keep all the gears wet. I tend to fill until the fluid touches the dipstick somewhere between the end and the mark when just setting the threads back on the hole. It has never leaked any out of the vent hole and when I replaced the seals on the wheels everything was clean and shiny and well lubed inside.

/ How to read the dipstick? #5  
Yup. I do the same as Piper. These tractors receive sever neglect and abuse in 3rd world countries and still survive so I am pretty sure they have a wide parameter of tolerance.

By the way Piper, WHERE is Central ND ?? :)

/ How to read the dipstick? #7  
That's pretty close to here. I'm actually just a little ways west of the river and north of the interstate. Not quite far enough out in the weeds these days!

/ How to read the dipstick? #8  
Threaded dipsticks are read like this.

Threaded dipstick.jpg

Last edited: