2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #101  
You should correct your post to be factual.

It's the 3.5 ecoboost, not the 2.0 or 2.7 ecoboost. The 3.5 has more bearing surface, 6 bolt mains, CGI block, and piston squirters...which is mo betta than the cummins.
And just because an engine has an engine accessory that another does not, doesn’t mean it’s more engine.

A semi auto .38 may have more components than a .357 magnum revolver, but it ain’t more gun lol.

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #102  
I don't quite understand why we are swinging dicks on a 3.5L EcoBoost in a 1/2 ton vs a Cummins in a 3/4 or 1 ton. Different purposes. Neither is truly "better" - They are both great.

That said, for a weekend warrior like myself, I would much rather have a 3.5 EcoBoost w/ 10 spd and max tow / max payload. 13k lbs towing capability is plenty for me to haul a tractor occasionally or effortlessly pull a big camper around. Then still get 20 mpg in daily driving and light chores vs the 13mpg I get now in my 6.0L LQ4 2500HD.

Buying a heavy Cummins or Duramax in a huge truck that you dont need the strength of on a daily basis is pretty dumb, let's be honest. Higher up front and ongoing maintenance costs. But if you need to kick some ass every week, then open the wallet and enjoy the torque!

PS. Duramax is going to 7.0L and a steel piston for 2027. No word on power targets yet but I'd bet 500/1000 or easily MORE.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #103  
I don't quite understand why we are swinging dicks on a 3.5L EcoBoost in a 1/2 ton vs a Cummins in a 3/4 or 1 ton. Different purposes. Neither is truly "better" - They are both great.

That said, for a weekend warrior like myself, I would much rather have a 3.5 EcoBoost w/ 10 spd and max tow / max payload. 13k lbs towing capability is plenty for me to haul a tractor occasionally or effortlessly pull a big camper around. Then still get 20 mpg in daily driving and light chores vs the 13mpg I get now in my 6.0L LQ4 2500HD.

Buying a heavy Cummins or Duramax in a huge truck that you dont need the strength of on a daily basis is pretty dumb, let's be honest. Higher up front and ongoing maintenance costs. But if you need to kick some ass every week, then open the wallet and enjoy the torque!

PS. Duramax is going to 7.0L and a steel piston for 2027. No word on power targets yet but I'd bet 500/1000 or easily MORE.
When you say neither is better, I somewhat disagree. A medium duty Diesel engine IS better at toughness for load pulling, hauling and longevity, but it costs more. Agree an ecoboost is a better weekend warrior and cheaper. What IS ridiculous is the “experts” who attempt to equate them as being comparable.
Agree its pointless to compare them. When snob started comparing them I was thinking it was kind of ridiculous and funny at same time. An ecoboost isnt in a Cummins league. An ecoboost is a great weekend warriors choice. And a Cummins is more expensive to buy than an ecoboost and is a professionals choice for heavy hauling and 1/4 million to 1/2 million mile life and beyond.

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #104  

Buying a “huge truck you don’t need” ... is that same thing people say when other people own a corvette? Buying a “real fast car you don’t need”?

Nobody needs a corvette right?
Nobody “needs” all that power but a lot of people sure do want it.

Let’s face it, this is still America, we buy tons of stuff nobody needs! I got one life to live and I’m buying all the stuff I don’t need. (Jet skis, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, side by side, boat, etc)

The next thing I’m looking to purchase is a single cab long box 5 speed 12 valve cummins which will slowly turn into a mustang beater / daily driver

I’m by no means rich, I’ve never owned a new car or truck, or took out a loan to buy a used vehicle. The most I’ve ever spent on a vehicle was $18k. (2012 mega cab Laramie 4x4 w/ 212k) As for maintenance, it hasn’t needed much.. a few things here and there but nothing major. The biggest job was u-joints inside the front axle.

I’ve towed with my friends 2018 f150 ecoboost, the power was pretty good but the suspension/tire setup is only good for runs to the grocery store. That was only with a 3 snowmobiles in a 23ft aluminum inline trailer. Nothing about towing this setup with the eco boost f150 was “effortless”

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #105  
How about buying a gargantuous 5th wheel trailer AND a Diesel truck JUST to pull it. Talk about a double wammy of don't need and (almost) don't use.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #106  
You make a fair point, but most people dont daily drive the Corvette. And even if you do, it drives smoothly, it's easy to fit into parking spots and easily gets over 20 mpg.

I meant more that you are doing yourself a disservice by buying more truck than you need, because it is expensive, and a bigger chore to operate and maintain. If you WANT that extra expense and to drive a huge lumbering truck to the grocery store, than have at it! This is 'merica after all.

Good report on EcoBoost towing though. Its true, once you get used to the solid, unflappable towing experience of an 2500/3500, its not so pleasant to drop back to an F150 with the same loads.

Yeah I see a LOT of big 5th wheel campers in my area that never seem to move. Then papa is stuck daily driving the big diesel for almost no reason...

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #107  
You make a fair point, but most people dont daily drive the Corvette. And even if you do, it drives smoothly, it's easy to fit into parking spots and easily gets over 20 mpg.

I meant more that you are doing yourself a disservice by buying more truck than you need, because it is expensive, and a bigger chore to operate and maintain. If you WANT that extra expense and to drive a huge lumbering truck to the grocery store, than have at it! This is 'merica after all.

Good report on EcoBoost towing though. Its true, once you get used to the solid, unflappable towing experience of an 2500/3500, its not so pleasant to drop back to an F150 with the same loads.

Yeah I see a LOT of big 5th wheel campers in my area that never seem to move. Then papa is stuck daily driving the big diesel for almost no reason...

And you care because.........??

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #108  
At least that diesel truck will be the easiest thing they ever had to sell. Maybe given certain market conditions, a very low miles unit could even fetch more than paid. At least that may help pay for heavy loss on the trailer!

I would have liked nothing better than not take my lumbering Diesel truck to go shopping. It is environmentally very irresponsible and selfish. But my thoughts of buying a Diesel Smart Car were dashed, when my insurance company wanted to Double my insurance!

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #109  

I daily drove my 99 vette 6spd (not in the winter) What a blast, my drive to and from work was always a hoot plus 22-24mpg. I miss that car but I sold it to buy my old 2004 Cummins.

As for a diesel being a bigger chore and more expensive to maintain, I have to disagree (but I’ve only owned Cummins diesels)

The only thing I can think of which costs more is the oil changes because it takes 3 gallons of oil. Sure if your injectors,
turbo or head gaskets go out on these new trucks it’s expensive, so make sure you pick the right power plant if you buy one. I’ve never had to worry about replacing these parts and I’m on my 4th Cummins truck

I believe if you have a medium or heavy duty truck and don’t tow with it everyday, it’s just going to last longer in the long run, as long as you treat it right.

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #110  
These gravel back roads take their toll on brakes. Brakes cost a lot more on a 3/4 or one ton! Paying to have brakes serviced and replaced that you have never used!

Status
Not open for further replies.