Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,541  
If I have to fall something with a head lean I’ll normally use a Coos Bay style back cut, but most of the time I’ll fall something around 90 degrees from the head lean. One reason for doing this is the risk of a chair another is I’m trying not to blow the belly out of that tree. With the GOL style of cutting I’m personally not a fan I do back strap here and there but try to avoid boring as much as possible it’s harder on the operator as well as the equipment plus you’re more likely to have an injury using the tip vs the whole bar.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,542  
Slightly off topic, this mess from last Tuesday was an unpleasant discovery at 5:30 am when my wife was trying to head out to work. She started "pruning" with the battery Stihl GTA26, while I got dressed to go cut the rest. The top of a maple, snapped off, then fell into the crotch of another pair of trunks which squished all the tops into a bundle. Tension galore as this was pressing against the ground as well as bundled together. I am not sure exactly how I'm going to tackle what's left, as this doesn't look like fun!

Attachments

• KIMG4312.JPG
    KIMG4312.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 104
  • KIMG4313.JPG
    KIMG4313.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 101
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,543  
This was a blowdown from Sunday (a few days before the above). The Mrs. heard this hit the ground from our closed bedroom window. I was outside on the other end of the house using power tools in the wind so I didn't hear it.

Attachments

• KIMG4334.JPG
    KIMG4334.JPG
    11.9 MB · Views: 93
  • KIMG4339.JPG
    KIMG4339.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 90
  • KIMG4337.JPG
    KIMG4337.JPG
    12.4 MB · Views: 79
  • KIMG4343.JPG
    KIMG4343.JPG
    11.9 MB · Views: 84
  • KIMG4341.JPG
    KIMG4341.JPG
    14.9 MB · Views: 89
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,545  
Thanks guys, I see it NOW!
I've known what it is for over 40 years, as long as I've been in the forest industry. Yet until reading recent posts, I never realized what a hazard it can be. Most of the cutting I see at work is with harvesters, and I try to avoid those situations on my own lot. I'm much more familiar with spring poles
. Back when I was doing power line maintenance the foreman was constantly dropping "danger trees" into the bushes, and I was always the one he sent in to clean up afterward. I was never sure whether it was because I could do it safely, or if he just wanted to get rid of me. :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,546  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,547  
With the GOL style of cutting I’m personally not a fan I do back strap here and there but try to avoid boring as much as possible it’s harder on the operator as well as the equipment plus you’re more likely to have an injury using the tip vs the whole bar.

I've not found bore cutting to be harder on my equipment or on me. I use it regularly, and the only bar tip I've trashed had to do with getting the bar pinched when I misread the tension doing storm damage clean up not when doing a It's not at all difficult to learn to do a bore cut without injury, but it is certainly worth taking the time to have someone show you how to do it right It has to do with what part of the tip you are using to start the bore. Once the pocket is created and you are in the bore, the bar is contained and kickback does not happen. Frankly, there is a greater safety concern involved with remaining at the stump while the tree is moving than there is in doing a bore cut. Certainly, a skilled operator can minimize the risks of either technique.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,548  
I was out figuring where to route a new road through some of my property that I do not get into often and noticed this Doug Fir. Since we are on the subject of leaners I took a few pics. This tree is probably 3 foot diameter, so not too large but there is some serious tension in that backside.
5126EAD6-74E2-4CE4-A4C5-96AC36C90D8F.jpeg
20C5587D-4F2A-4FD6-9F74-821844469C5E.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,549  
Slightly off topic, this mess from last Tuesday was an unpleasant discovery at 5:30 am when my wife was trying to head out to work. She started "pruning" with the battery Stihl GTA26, while I got dressed to go cut the rest. The top of a maple, snapped off, then fell into the crotch of another pair of trunks which squished all the tops into a bundle. Tension galore as this was pressing against the ground as well as bundled together. I am not sure exactly how I'm going to tackle what's left, as this doesn't look like fun!
You could have a thread on this alone. Keep us posted in any event.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,550  
Geoduck says
I was out figuring where to route a new road through some of my property that I do not get into often and noticed this Doug Fir. Since we are on the subject of leaners I took a few pics. This tree is probably 3 foot diameter, so not too large but there is some serious tension in that backside.
And that's the difference between trees on the east coast and those here. A 3 foot tree is pretty unusual in or second growth forests.