Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #451  
What seems strange is, at least around here, that the super high lumber costs is NOT impacting demand. Home construction is still going gangbusters. Remodeling is still in high demand and remodelers are backed-up.

Seems lots of folks still have lots of money.

Stock market success maybe?

MoKelly

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #452  
15/32 (1/2") CDX is $55 a sheet at Home Depot in Washington State this morning.
You know, Washington State, where we grow lumber....

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #453  
I heard that lumber grows on trees out there. Must cost a lot picking it to sell for $55. I saw 1/2" CDX at Menards for $45 here, and they have 11% rebates going so that would equate to $40. What's weird it they have both 3 ply and 4 ply, with only $0.20 difference in price.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
I'm one of those that can't estimate materials very well, so if I thought I needed 10 boards, I'd buy 12. I'd buy those Cull packs, pallets of closeouts or twisted/split stuff for 70% off. That let me store some stuff for later. What projects I'm dooing now is coming out of that supply. I'm tearing an old deck out and instead of scrapping the wood like I might have in the past, I'm reusing it. I'll buy rough sawn from the mill guy down the road. I will NOT pay the current store prices. If I can't make do with what I have or rough sawn, I just won't do the project.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #455  
What seems strange is, at least around here, that the super high lumber costs is NOT impacting demand. Home construction is still going gangbusters. Remodeling is still in high demand and remodelers are backed-up.

Seems lots of folks still have lots of money.

Stock market success maybe?

MoKelly
Same here, construction is currently ramping up despite the lumber prices and subsequent 20-30% surcharge on new buildings!

Stock market success could be some of it, but I think a lot of it is also just general paranoia and a desire to invest in tangible, hard assets.

But if you look at a cross section of America, over 45% of us make over $75,000 per year. Close to 20% make over $150k per year, and 18 million of us are millionaires.... there's a lot of money out there to keep construction going for now.

The costs of 4x8 sheets is truly eye watering right now. I could never bring myself to pay $50/sheet even if I could afford it and needed to build something.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #456  
I have never seen three ply 1/2 CDX here.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #457  
I'm tearing an old deck out and instead of scrapping the wood like I might have in the past, I'm reusing it.

I'm doing the same. Wood that I would have thrown out is now going into the stock pile for future projects. I have quite a pile of 4' 2x4's!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #458  
Raw lumber is cheap due to an oversupply from storm and fire damaged forests. Lumber mills are overwhelmed with orders from builders so milled lumber is in short supply which leads to high prices to the final consumer. Prices are supposed to come down next spring when the mills will be able to increase their capacity. Note: Lumber prices are set when the dealer receives the shipment so odd sizes and lengths may still be at lower former prices.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #459  
Bought 20 of the 4-5" 7 foot treated pine fenceposts today. $11 something each. Not as bad as I feared.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #460  
when i lived there i was told we sell the logs to the chinese for next to nothin, they make plywood on a factory boat just far enough offshore then sell it back to us.