Does engine HP affect driving power

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #11  
It absolutely does! That's exactly why I took my brand new 25 HP back and got the 40 HP version! The 25 wouldn't even use high range. Medium range was acceptable if I wasn't working it hard. Slow going!

My 40 HP will use all 3 ranges like it's supposed to!

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #12  
I road my tractor and several other frequently.
From my place to the farm is three miles with several hills,
with just the bare tractor and front end loader (80 engine Hp) I can pull all the hills in high gear.
Drop my bucket off and install the grapple and carry the bucket at least one hill will require a down shift.
Hook up the brush hog, a trailer, or snow blower and three hills will require down shifting.
One of the places that we chopped corn on has a couple of hill that will make a 7130 IH Magnum drop a couple of gears empty by it's self,
when I have the pull type forage harvester and self unloading wagon with a load behind me two of the hill will make me downshfit from 18th gear down to 10th.

Depending on the bucket size many tractors couldn't pull steep hills with a full bucket of gravel in high gear.
Yep. There's a reason my 3200 lb sedan has a 200 HP engine while my ~3500 lb tractor+FEL struggles up hills with a 33 HP engine. It takes a lot of horses to climb hills at any decent speed and weight makes all the difference.

Just for grins: mathematically, it requires 9.4 HP for that 3500 lb tractor to climb a 10% grade at 10 mph. Add 1000 lbs to the bucket and a 500 lb box blade for ballast, now it's 13.4 HP. And that's not considering tire friction, transmission inefficiencies or anything else. Hill climbing's tough for tractors unless you're going sloooooow!

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #13  
this is a compact tractor forum, members buy small, then work with larger ambitions
disappointment usually follows....notice it all the time

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #14  
this is a compact tractor forum, members buy small, then work with larger ambitions
disappointment usually follows....notice it all the time
I'm not disappointed. I mean, top speed is about 4MPH in low range, so I go only 3MPH up my hill by letting up on the peddle a little to get more power. I didn't get the tractor for speed, I got it to move a snow. That I can mow my lawn with it or move stone is a bonus :). Two years ago I was moving stone in a wheelbarrow.

I matched my purchase to my expectations of what it needed to do and to be honest the tractor exceeded my expectations this past winter. I was surprised more that once about what it could push and drive through.

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #15  
well taken, & glad to see you have it well thought out. to be honest, i've traded in several times to my present model because my applications kept growing, easy to do. best of luck in your work, hope you enjoy it as much as my own

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #16  
My father in law let's me use his 25hp HST tractor quite often. Some of it's use is maintaining the road we live on. It really struggles going up any kind of hill especially with a load of gravel. I know the engine hp doesn't affect lift capacity because it's really based on what the hydraulic pump can do. But what about a HST transmission. Really not that familiar with how those work. Are they hydraulically driven. Basically I'm asking about it I buy a tractor and get a 40hp or so engine will that alleviate the issue of not being able to pull hills very well
A shorter answer to your question is, "Yes."

All other things being equal, just upping your engine hp will allow you to climb hills better. But if that increase in hp comes in a larger chassis size, with the accompanied weight, then there are trade offs. Going from 25hp to say 40-50hp and not going up much in chassis weight, you'd see a night and day improvement. Even going up in chassis weight, unless dramatically heavier, you will notice the increased power when climbing the same hill.

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #17  
I have a motto: NEVER GO FASTER THEN WHAT YOUR IN!

/ Does engine HP affect driving power
Thanks for all the input. For those that asked have been trying to decide on which Orange tractor to get the L series has the 25hp 33 and 39. All the same frame. Just wantframe make sure I wasn't paying extra for the extra hp if it didn't help

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #19  
Buy a HUGE tractor and gradually work your way down. It's funner that way! That way you realize what you are missing and may want in capability.

/ Does engine HP affect driving power #20  
Put some smaller diameter tires on it. I just went from 28" rears to 24". My radar operated traffic speed sign in the driveway showed the difference. So the effective power went up, presuming the tire grip is there to use it.