complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me)

/ complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #11  
   / complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #12  
Better if they just eliminate the kids menu.
Then you wouldn't have anything to ***** about.

/ complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #13  
IMO, you go into a place, order something, and pay for it, it shouldn't matter who you are and what you order. Within reason. Going into a place and reserving an 8-person table for just yourself and nursing a single glass of tea for 2 hours is not within reason. A single adult member of a party ordering off the kids menu definitely IS within reason. Now a party of 8 adults, all ordering off the kids menu, I still would think is within reason, but after reading the quoted section below, I think maybe it's borderline. Undecided.

I understand where you're coming from but I still don't know if I can get behind it. Unless it's a buffet. Then I'm on board. But if you own a non-buffet restaurant and that's the policy you choose, then that's your prerogative. It is (or should be) a free country and nobody is (or should be) able to tell you that you CAN'T have that policy. But if you have that policy and it's something that matters to me, I'll exercise my freedom to eat somewhere else.
I am a reasonable person and is why we let it go without an issue.

/ complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #14  
I understand the issue with the kids menu. However, my wife & I are 70ish and a regular menu for us is a waste, there is just to much food. If at all possible, we will order one menu item and 2 drinks and share. We are not normally prepared to take half of it home. I have seen senior menus, but not common around here. We have been asked if the meal is ok when we only eat half of it.

/ complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #15  
While on menus and seniors I remember being in Florida and observing a very common occurrence.
Seniors stuffing their large purses with sugar, salt & pepper sachets and whatever else was loose.
Buffets was another show.
Actually saw many stuffing containers or baggies for later consumption.

LOL, our flight down was most comical.
The stewardess welcomed us on miracle flight 'xxx'.
Miracle was in that they were miraculously cured while en route.
You see, leaving from northern airports they'd avail themselves of free wheelchair service in order to get early boarding but since upon arrival in Florida they were miraculously cured.

The simple explanation was: Wheelchairs were free up north but had a user fees in Miami.

/ complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #16  
Years ago my daughter was 4 and ate more than a flock of vultures. There was a local restaurant that offered a bogo deal on enchilada plates. We naturally availed ourselves of that deal often. One visit they informed us that children under 6 MUST order from the kids menu and we could not get the buy one get one deal for her. They said too many parents were ordering the meals and taking home nearly complete dinners the kids didn’t eat.
I understood their dilemma, but my little heifer wasn’t that child. When I aceeded to their demands of ordering her a kids meal and continued to add alacarte to it to make it a full dinner they continued to argue with me and wouldn’t allow it. I was going to be paying as much as a full adult plate and not getting the bongo deal, why should they balk??
The manager was finally called and listened to my situation and told the waiter to take my order for 4 adult plates. He and three others stood nearby and watchec us eat to be sure we were not sneaking food off the plates and into our pockets I guess. Boy! We’re they surprised when my petite little 4 year old ate everything on her plate and also one of her mother’s enchiladas and an extra crispy taco from the taco order we had for the table.
They now knew her by sight and name and whenever a new waiter/waitress served us they were given a heads up that the adult meal was okay for here.

sometimes it is just common sense run off into the weeds that create these situations. There could have been abuse of some type on the kids meals the restaurant was trying to avoid and the server didn’t consider some elder adults couldn’t eat the full adult plate any longer. The “rule” became law in their mind instead of a guide.

/ complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #17  
Thread pruned. Knock it off fellas.

Please continue the original discussion.

/ complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #18  
I understand the issue with the kids menu. However, my wife & I are 70ish and a regular menu for us is a waste, there is just to much food. If at all possible, we will order one menu item and 2 drinks and share. We are not normally prepared to take half of it home. I have seen senior menus, but not common around here. We have been asked if the meal is ok when we only eat half of it.
My wife and I do similar, especially if we are familiar with the restaurant. We'll order 1 meal and drinks and ask for a 2nd plate. That usually leaves room for desert, too! 😛

Last edited:
   / complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #19  
Two weeks ago, went out with my 2 boys and my 89 year old dad to a GOOD eats place. Back then, they did my dad for the childrens menu (no questions asked) on ribs. Total bill about $80.

Last night, same place with a different server, and I was told they can't do a kids menu for an adult (my dad). I had words with the waitress, and they allowed it. Total bill for 4 people $95.

I explained to the waitress (who seemed to went out of her way to get my dad on the childrens menu last night) that if they wouldn't of done the kids menu for my father, we would of walked out right then, and they would of lost that $95 which is by far a good price for four meals on their end making money.

The restaurant HAS to make money when someone orders off the kids menu, but still had a headache on our end last night becuase they didn't want to do a kids menu for my father (he doesn't eat a lot anywhere).

Why the HE double toothpicks do restaurants have an issue with elderly poeple who don't eat much order off the kids menu?!
Kinda odd they did it once and then not 2 weeks later.

Many times over the years, we've taken my in-laws out to dinner and my in-laws didn't want the huge portions, so we always ask if they have smaller portions available. Inevitably the server will suggest the kids' menu, or they'll tell us they'll have the kitchen make a smaller portion and charge us the kids' menu price.

I guess if you make the server think they are solving the problem they are more apt to give you the lower price for the smaller portion regardless of the person's age.

/ complaint with restaurants (which dosen't make sense to me) #20  
I don't know about the States, but here, that's a TOUGH business.

Reminds me of some futuristic movie, cop goes ahead in time, they talk about where to grab something to eat. "Every Restaurant is a TACO BELL" was the response.
Ive owned a few restaurants. COPS EAT FREE!