Potential 1st time Tractor Owner

/ Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #1  

Rookkee22

Tractor
John Deere
I moved out of suburbs to 6 acres - 3 acres with trees and 3 with lawn.

I looked at the Kubota B2650 and B3250 with cab. I need a back and front loader, and something to redo my gravel drive way...

which would you recommend?
Or would a Kioti or Mahindra is better? They seem more economical and has more upgrades without the up charge that Kubota offers.

Which has ones has parts that are more readily available?

Gas or diesel? I don't want to deal with DEF diesel stuff.

In Michigan near Milan

Thanks

/ Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #2  
I moved out of suburbs to 6 acres - 3 acres with trees and 3 with lawn.

A tractor weighing 1,500 pounds to 2,000 pounds bare weight is about right.

Ground clearance due to larger wheels and tires is the single greatest difference in tractor specs between (all brands) of Subcompact tractors and the lightest Compact tractors. Small tractor wheels drop into holes, disrupting traction. Larger wheels and tires supplied on heavier tractors bridge holes and ruts, increasing traction. Larger wheels and tires permit higher operating speed over uneven ground by reducing implement bounce and operator perturbation.

One can mow a field faster with larger wheels and tires. One or two mph with larger wheels/tires will significantly reduce field mowing time. With 12" ground clearance you can tractor cultivate a garden until crop reaches 12" to 14" height.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth

I looked at the Kubota B2650 and B3250 with cab. I need a back and front loader, and something to redo my gravel drive way...

For three to six acres a Kubota B2650 (obsolete model) / LX2610 (replacement model) will be ample.

VIDEO:

Why do you need a cab? What tractor work has such a priority in your life that you have to work in inclement weather when tractor will rut the ground? Be a fair weather operator, like most non-professional operators posting here.

Front End Loaders (FEL) are extremely useful. 90% of compact tractors are purchased with a FEL.

Backhoes are exceptional at trenching. For tasks other than trenching, most would use the FEL or a Three Point Hitch (TPH) implement. Forego the Backhoe unless you have a lot of trenching to do. Devote the $5,000 a Backhoe costs on a compact tractor to tractor TPH implements. (You can likely have a pro with a mini-excavator do all the trenching you need for $500 - $1,000)

TRACTOR IMPLEMENTS LINK: https://www.lsuagcenter.com/~/media...aa214276e14dacb/pub2917tractorimplements1.pdf

Or would a Kioti or Mahindra is better? They seem more economical and has more upgrades without the up charge that Kubota offers.

Tractors have not evolved very far since the TPH was introduced to USA by Ford on the Ford 9n in 1939.

Kubota enjoys around 50% of the market share for compact tractors in the USA.

Mahindra compact tractors are not made by Mahindra, they are made by another manufacturer, badged and painted for Mahindra. Larger Mahinda tractors are manufactured by Mahindra in India.

Korean manufacturing labor is paid 20% less than Japanese manufacturing labor. Korean tractors can be somewhat less money than Japanese tractors. In my opinion, Kioti, LS and Branson are the top Korean tractor brands. However, Kubota dominates the compact tractor category in the USA.

Which has ones has parts that are more readily available?

See above.

Gas or diesel? I don't want to deal with DEF diesel stuff.

There are no new gas compact tractors; all are diesel. Tractors under 26 - horsepower are exempt from strict Tier IV emission controls. Tractors over 26 - horsepower require somewhat complex, somewhat costly pollution controls. DEF begins on tractors with 75 - horsepower.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after eight years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

GOOD LUCK with your research and purchase!

Last edited:
   / Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #3  
The old B3350 had a lot of problems with the emissions system, especially in cold weather. I think they have stopped making them and there is an updated model coming out soon.

DPF isn't mandatory above 25.5 hp. The emissions regs tighten above 25.5 hp and one of the ways manufacturers meet them is with a DPF. Some use a DOC or a DOC+DPF instead. They're generally reliable (the B3350 is the most glaring exception) and make the air you and your family breathe cleaner. Below 25.5hp manufacturers can meet the looser requirements with engine tuning and combustion chamber shape.

Tractor backhoes are often expensive. If you only have a few tasks for the BH you might consider rending a mini excavator. Those will probably do it faster and easier especially if you're doing something that requires repositioning the machine. With a tractor you have to raise the stabilizers, move to the tractor seat to move it, then go back to the BH and lower the stabilizers again. Where with a mini ex you just raise the blade and drive.

/ Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #4  
I ordered the Yanmar YT 235C 35 hp no DEF when the light
on the dash comes on just push the button for 3 seconds and
keep working. First time is 50 hours then every 200 hrs?
Yanmar has the 10 year warranty drive train and is transferable
also you have to stop when the def light comes on approx 10 to
40 minutes or until the system finishes

willy

Last edited:
   / Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #5  
Forego the Backhoe unless you have a lot of trenching to do. Devote the $5,000 a Backhoe costs on a compact tractor to tractor TPH implements. (You can likely have a pro with a mini-excavator do all the trenching you need for $1,000)

It's awesome that this forum has members like this - the ones that know everything that everyone needs and feels the need to tell them what they need. I don't know what your problem with buying a tractor with a backhoe is, but, clearly you have issues, as this is not the first reply to a thread where you have given the OP the same advice to not get a BH with their tractor. Why would the OP hire someone to do the work?? You don't know the budget they are working with, do you? In fact, you have no valid reason to tell them not to buy anything - he did not ask for help on deciding whether he needed a TLB, he asked for input on makes, as far as the cab - it really is none of your business.

Pick

/ Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #6  
It would help if we have a better idea of what you want to do with your tractor. What implements are you planning to buy - mower- tiller- rear blade - box blade - backhoe - snowblower - ? the list goes on. What is your budget? When you say redo your driveway are you talking about adding and grading gravel or something more? What do you plan to use the backhoe for?

/ Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #7  
It's awesome that this forum has members like this - the ones that know everything that everyone needs and feels the need to tell them what they need. I don't know what your problem with buying a tractor with a backhoe is, but, clearly you have issues, as this is not the first reply to a thread where you have given the OP the same advice to not get a BH with their tractor. Why would the OP hire someone to do the work?? You don't know the budget they are working with, do you? In fact, you have no valid reason to tell them not to buy anything - he did not ask for help on deciding whether he needed a TLB, he asked for input on makes, as far as the cab - it really is none of your business.

Pick

Note: The OP, Rookkee22, "Liked" Post #2.

"This is not the first reply to a thread where you have given the OP advice to not get a BH with their tractor."

I try to be consistent.

I'm well known for editing. Perhaps by tomorrow I will adopt your views. CHECK BACK.

Last edited:
   / Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #8  
Awesome!! I'm awaiting my MF 1725 TLB and, I am going with a zero turn for the lawn.

Pick - 4/10/2021

SoCalRedTractor said:

"We are in a tract with 1 acre lots - I've settled on the MF 1725M TLB with a rake, box blade, tiller & QH (no mower) to do the work.

I've been doing the shovel, rake, wheelbarrow thing for way too long maintaining the 2/3 acre that is landscaped - so, a SCUT will do me just fine."

Pick - 3/7/2021

After you accumulate 500 hours operating your ~ on-order ~ Massey-Feruson ~ first tractor ~ I look forward to reading your experience with tractor and Backhoe working ~ 2/3 acre ~.

Sheesh!

Last edited:
   / Potential 1st time Tractor Owner
It would help if we have a better idea of what you want to do with your tractor. What implements are you planning to buy - mower- tiller- rear blade - box blade - backhoe - snowblower - ? the list goes on. What is your budget? When you say redo your driveway are you talking about adding and grading gravel or something more? What do you plan to use the backhoe for?
I won't need it for cutting grass because I already have a zero-turn mower. I want it for plotting flower and veggie beds, moving fallen trees ( some are lot of the mature trees are dying), re-grading gravel driveway, moving dirt to level out low area, too old to lift large items like I used to back in the day. Snow removal as well.

/ Potential 1st time Tractor Owner #10  
Look at a JD 2025r or 3025e, both are free of the DPF because they are less than 25hp. Kubota makes a B and a L sized machine that are also 25 horsepower machines that would be a good choice.