Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,361  
^^^
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather read a review rather than sit thru a video. Anyone else?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,362  
^^^
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather read a review rather than sit thru a video. Anyone else?

Depends for me. I usually do not like a lot of chatter. If the video focuses on the subject at hand and not a lot extra chatter then a video is fine.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,363  
Never has a lick of issue with the Bauer cordless 20 Volt tools. I have just about all of them. Not for professional garage use but for home shop use, the are just fine. Heck of a bunch cheaper than Milwaukee or Dewalt for sure.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,364  
^^^
I find it amazing that people spend this much time to do comparisons such as this. It must have taken days to do.

But it is probably useful information for some. It tells me that most any bit will probably do, unless you are driving hundreds of screws day in and day out (I got a pack of Hercules bits with my Hercules impact driver a couple years ago. I'm not sure, but I think I am still on my original bit and I use it fairly often). Yes a brief written review and a table of results would be quicker and just as informative. But some people are visual and this type of presentation would sink in better. All in all, I find it kind of ****.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,365  
I find it kind of ****.
So do I and I find the 'Project Farm guy a bit tedious too. He appears to have a bit of bias against HF stuff which gives him an air of non objectiveness so I don't watch is stuff. Like the other Canadian who uses the words like schmmozle and swears a lot will intentionally destroying a tool. I find him crude and I don't bother watching his drivel either.

I've had very good results with almost every HF tool I've purchased but having said that I stay away from the cheaper stuff anyway.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,366  
Slightly tangential: I have the HF 2hp dust collector in my basement shop. Decided to put it in a corner with dedicated PVC piping to two different tools (cabinet saw and sliding miter saw). The necessary orientation in a tight corner meant dust collector power switch was going to be hard to reach.

Added a wireless remote plug controller for a whopping 15 bucks. It's terrific. Turns the dust collection system on from anywhere in the shop. Really good upgrade to the HF dust collector, or any device you might want to turn on remotely.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,367  
I admit this guy's voice wears on me a little but his content is excellent. And he rigs up some very interesting test equipment.
For a tool guy I think this is some of the best content on the internet
Using the better cut off blade for example can sure save some hard work.

And here I thought it was just me, but he is a little like listening to finger nails on a blackboard.
He does a lot of excellent videos though.
But, I think he has pretty much exhausted the "will running this instead of oil destroy the engine," and "will and engine run on this" topics. Most times the results are going to be pretty obvious.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,369  
It's brand new, so I'm guessing not a lot of you have seen this yet, but I'm curious if any of you have seen HF's new VIKING 3400 Peak Amp 12/24 Volt Jump Starter: 3400 Peak Amp Pro Portable Jump Starter and Power Pack

The information is scarce on their website: no indication on whether it can recharge from a 12 or 24V source or needs to be plugged in to 120V AC. No info on what type of battery (It does say "Lead Acid" but that could be either a sealed flooded lead-acid or an AGM battery.) No info on whether the battery is replaceable or not.

At $299.99 the price is good compared to the other options out there, but I'd really like to know more about it before shelling out $300. (I may try to hold out until it goes on sale.)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,370  
Slightly tangential: I have the HF 2hp dust collector in my basement shop. Decided to put it in a corner with dedicated PVC piping to two different tools (cabinet saw and sliding miter saw). The necessary orientation in a tight corner meant dust collector power switch was going to be hard to reach.

Added a wireless remote plug controller for a whopping 15 bucks. It's terrific. Turns the dust collection system on from anywhere in the shop. Really good upgrade to the HF dust collector, or any device you might want to turn on remotely.

I have their 1hp model. It sucked at first (actually it didn't). They put a plastic guard on both the inlet and outlet to prevent fingers from reaching in. The problem is that anything larger than sawdust will get caught on it. Once removed it works great. I tell anyone who is using a shop vac to switch over. Just the noise reduction alone is worth it. I got it because I have enough tools that just don't make a lot of dust, like my bandsaw, so I don't bother having it plumbed to the big DC.