Taters

/ Taters #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
Why do people wrap potatoes in aluminum foil before baking them in the oven?

/ Taters #3  
I wrap the taters with foil and put them in the wood stove for 1 hour.

/ Taters #4  
I don't in the oven, but do use aluminum foil on the grill or in a fire. It holds in moisture and prevents some of the direct heat so that the outside is less likely to burn, crisp. It's like using a pie shield to prevent the outer edge of the crust from burning before the pie is done. I have never put oil on potatoes before baking, the skins just end up tasting like the oil and I personally like the skins crispy.

/ Taters
When I put up the question, I'd taken a potato from the refrigerator that my wife baked yesterday. She wasn't home to ask and I thought she'd wrapped the potato BEFORE baking it and I could see no benefit in the practice. Now she's home and it turns out she baked the naked potato in the microwave and wrapped it AFTER it had cooked to hold in the heat.

The three replies are logical, thanks.:)

/ Taters #7  

Probably a lower calories version of wiping them with oil.
I dunno, I've never done either. I do sometimes put them in the microwave for a couple minutes to speed up the baking time.
I've heard of wrapping them in foil and putting them in a campfire, but never did that either.

/ Taters #8  
When grilling I wrap potato with slice onion pepper carrots.

/ Taters #9  
All my spuds go in the microwave. Baking in the oven takes too long. Waste of energy. For that matter - I, honestly, can't remember the last time I used the oven. Probably last Thanksgiving, for a turkey.

/ Taters #10  
We use a small convection oven for baked potato's. We use the stove top for cooking up the making for stuffed potato's and when that's all done, the bakers come out, on to the plate, split open and stuffed with goodies. 😋