Negotiating for a new tractor?

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #1  

beeser

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2040
How much wiggle room is there in the MSRP for a new tractor? Does the supposed scarcity of available tractors warrant paying the full amount?

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #3  
Might want to read my has haggling died tread.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #4  
  • At present tractor inventories are low.
  • Spring is the highest volume sales period of the year.
  • We are reading here of many dealers/retail customers waiting four months for factory order fulfillment. (all brands)
  • Price is how tractors in inventory are rationed.

Supply/Demand may be more in favor of the consumer in October-November-December.

Price increases generally go into effect during January.

Last edited:
   / Negotiating for a new tractor? #5  
jeff9366 stated it pretty well.... last October I negotiated a good price on a LX3310 cab that was ordered and I was able to get some free lights, bucket edge and 3rd function remote but no hat... After waiting 6 months for my tractor to come in, they called and the tractor was in but still in the crate. I drove over to take a look at it and there were 5 or 6 people looking at it. Two made an offer to buy it from me that would have netted a tidy profit but who knows when another one would come in and if I could even get near the price I paid, I politely declined...

My old B2710 sold 20 minutes after posting at full asking price. I was hoping that nobody wanted it at the price I set and I would tell my wife it just did not sell and we should keep it but my plans did not work...

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #6  
How much wiggle room is there in the MSRP for a new tractor? Does the supposed scarcity of available tractors warrant paying the full amount?
At this point in time you will most likely not get any 'wiggle room' to negotiate from the quoted price. Whether that quoted price is MSRP or not.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #7  
I had a compete stranger come to my house - introduce himself and say he heard that my Kubota M6040 was for sale. Wanted to know - how much??? Well - be darned. Let him know it was NOT for sale. He was disappointed because he noticed it was still in mint shape and pre-Tier 4.

It would be exceptionally difficult/costly to find a pre-tier 4 tractor to replace mine.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor?
I purchased the Bobcat today. Wish it was a more satisfying experience though. The Bobcat promotion on implements didn't work out as advertised. More on that in a separate thread.

/ Negotiating for a new tractor? #10  
So, at X:25 AM (hour varies by time zone) you posted this question. Within two hours you got several replies, but in the meantime you were out buying something apparently before reading any of them.