Household Batteries

/ Household Batteries #1  

jaydee325

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere X584 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H
This is about AAA, AA, C, and D household batteries.

I've got a LED flashlight in the shop. Obviously, the AA batteries last a looong time. Couldn't remember when the last time was I changed the batteries. Still bright light. Upon checking them, I saw they were starting to leak. Fortunately, I caught it in time before any damage was done.

I've checked the rest of my LED lights with replaceable batteries and all was well. I'll be checking LED lights with replaceable batteries more frequently from now on!

YMMV!

/ Household Batteries #2  
Always a good plan to keep an eye on your battery stock. If you forget to, the nasty corrosion surprise can do some damage or destroy the item completely. I have lost a few items by forgetting to do so. The el'cheapo batteries for me seem to not last as long and leak more often. Unfortunately, the price $$$$ of name brand batteries has gottion on up there.

/ Household Batteries #4  
Ive had terrible luck with duracells.
I went to rechargeables and have never had one leak.
Going through some old infant toys of my son for the Salvation Army the other day. Found some that still had the rechargeable batteries in them. No problems. My son turns 21 this year so they have been in there awhile.

/ Household Batteries #5  
   / Household Batteries #6  
Try lithium batteries. No leaks

/ Household Batteries #7  
Been using harbor freight batteries for a while. Not had any of them leak.

On tools I don't often use I store them with the batteries removed.

/ Household Batteries #8  
I have found the Ray-O-Vac alkaline batteries to be hard to beat for the money, especially when HD has them on sale.

White vinegar and a Q tip is effective for removal of the potassium hydroxide "leakage" in battery powered devices.

Wet it down a few times, and it will slowly dissolve it.

If the chemical hasn't damaged the metal contacts, it will be as good as new.

/ Household Batteries #9  
One of the reasons to use rechargable batteries: no leakage. That's all I use.

/ Household Batteries #10  
We're used to changing the batteries when the light gets dim; LEDs keep on working as the voltage drops; and that when batteries tend to leak.
I had it happen too.