Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,321  
Us Mail had electric delivery vehicles 50 years ago. Nothing new there.
In 1979 UPS had an electric brown truck on regular delivery route in Huntsville, AL. Trademark UPS brown truck, not a tin box painted brown. Solid state controls did not exist then the way we take for granted today. Truck rolled down the road with large contractors clacking for speed control.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,323  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,324  
I'm not in a rush to buy an Electric Vehicle - BUT I expect at some point in the future it could happen. That would be a 50% reduction of ICE vehicles in my household. That is what the transition to EVs could look like. The major auto manufacturers and tractor manufacturers are investing in the design and development of EVs.

The naysayers aren't upset because they think EVs may come to pass, but because they know they will.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,325  
Comparing a 1960s electric mail truck to what we have now is like looking at a multi-core gen 3 Xeon scalable processor and saying 'meh, we had CPUs in computers 40 years ago, nothing new here'.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,326  
I'm not in a rush to buy an Electric Vehicle - BUT I expect at some point in the future it could happen. That would be a 50% reduction of ICE vehicles in my household. That is what the transition to EVs could look like. The major auto manufacturers and tractor manufacturers are investing in the design and development of EVs.

The naysayers aren't upset because they think EVs may come to pass, but because they know they will.
While Tesla has cut the energy required per mile year over year I expect their new factories coming on line the 4th quarter of 2023 will be even more efficient and the vehicles less expensive. While the Model Y sells for more than a Model 3 today it's reported the Model Y with the same features as the Model 3 costs Tesla $10K less to build today. Moving to Giga castings is cutting cost to build new factories and new EVs. Tesla seems to have worked through parked EV battery fires. GM seems to be gaining parked battery fire experience. Ford seems to be trailing behind on EV experience. That 1800 pound F-150 battery fully charged will contain a lot of energy.

BY 2030 EVs will get little news coverage as is the case with SpaceX launches today.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,327  
BY 2030 EVs will get little news coverage as is the case with SpaceX launches today.
I don't get this either. SpaceX is doing what just a few years ago would have been seen as a mixture of sci-fi fantasy and witchcraft yet most people have no clue and don't really seem to care. Makes you appreciate how rare real visionaries are.

The landing starting at the 3:00 minute mark is the best part.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,328  
Then theres the debate "is CO2 a pollutant". The EPA doesn't think so.
Heck I would go so far to say Oxygen could be a pollutant if it was way out of whack with respect to the chemical make up of our air.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,329  
Heck I would go so far to say Oxygen could be a pollutant if it was way out of whack with respect to the chemical make up of our air.

California is a pollutant with all the weed smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.