Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties?

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #1  

rogersmithiii

Tractor
Gravely 16G / Deere 310 L
I was just pricing out a snowplow for my truck, and the price came to around $5200 for an eight foot steel plow and stuff.

Does the average homeowner or backyard farmer spend that kind of money on snow removal stuff, or is the purchase of plows limited to people who do this to make money?

Do people spend $5000 on accessories for a tractor or is that too much money for most tractor folks?

Would like to hear people's experiences here.

Thanks

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #2  
I bought a SSQA adapter and used my old plow blade. Blade cost about $1500, adapter about $200.
Look for used before we get to close to fall and prices start climbing.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #3  
First thing I would do is find out what it would cost to have your driveway plowed and the average number of plowable snowfalls per year to see if buying a plow makes sense.
For example: say it snows (plowable) 10 times per year and each plowing is $150 from a local contractor. Then you have an average of $1500/annum in plowing.
in 3+ years, your $5,000 purchase is paid off and in year 4 you start “making money”.

Other points of note: do you mind waiting to have your driveway plowed? Or do you want it plowed during the storm and immediately after it’s over? If you want that, then owning a plow might be even more desirable than the money saved after year 3+.

Then there’s the aspect of using it to make money plowing neighbors driveways to MAKE money, which is a whole ‘nother topic.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #4  
Back in the early 80's I bought a snowplow for the front of our Toyota Landcruiser. It was around $2000 back then. We had a lot more snow back then, and a long driveway. This was while I was still living with my parents. It was well worth it. I could plow our driveway in about 5 minutes. Then I'd hit my grandmother's driveway as well.

Now I have a little machine with an FEL and a plow on the front of it, and we don't get nearly the amount of snow that we used to 40 years ago.

So, you'd have to ask yourself if you have enough snow to justify the cost of a plow on a truck to get enough use out of it, to make it worth the money, VS getting a plow attachment, or snowblower, for your tractor.

A snowblower for a tractor isn't all that inexpensive, either, by the way.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #5  
In the last 11 years, we’ve had our biggest snowfall winters. 2010 was extremely heavy snowfalls. I paid off entire vehicles with plows in one winter. Then we had one winter with no measurable snow 2017, maybe? Last winter it picked back up and we had 8 or 9 nice heavy, plowable snow falls.
It goes in cycles.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #6  
I certainly use mine for snow plowing,my own property and a couple neighbors.Bought a used truck plow for $150+a adapter plate $100 and a little welding.Had the third function already installed for a grapple.
The old truck plow with chain float is better than the "factory tractor" snow plows that don't have float.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #7  
If you work a job where you NEED to be at work (public safety, utility or road crew, medicine, etc.), you need to be able to clear your own drive quickly.

If you don't work a public job, but have a family member who might need an ambulance or you rely on deliveries of food, medicine, supplies for a home job or similar, you might need to keep your drive clear.

If you have a short, one path driveway, you might be able to shovel by hand the way most people used to.

If you have a longer, wider drive, you might need something more than a shovel.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #8  
I used to plow snow with my trucks. Its blood money.

As far as personal plowing, I stopped plowing for money and had bought a 1/2ton with a new plow. Did my driveway, the in-laws and a few other neighbors. Its not worth buying new for your own. Especially if you have that nice 310 in the yard. Find an old snow plow blade and fab a mount for the 310. You will be 1000's less that a new plow for your truck and it won't stress the 310 at all. It will beat up your truck even if you are careful.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #9  
$5k is not a lot of money if you need to clear a driveway of any size. I get about 12-15 snow events a year. I can pay someone $75 per plow or do the job right myself. I got tired of 8 ft banks of snow and purchased a pull blower for $4000 two years ago. Likely $5k for it now.

BTW, you can put a plow on a 1/2 ton pickup but if you get much snow you will beat it up.

Your other option, and what I did for a few years, is buy a beater plow truck. Mine cost $3500. I used it as a second vehicle as well for hauling stuff and local errands. The downside is insurance cost....about $600/yr.

I get 120-140" of snow a year so dealing with a lot of snow is a requirement. Some of the light duty plows are good enough for most folks. When getting advice, look at your needs and how they match up with the advice you are getting from others. If you get a lot of snow and have no place to push up the banks, a plow is not a good option.

One time, my plow truck failed me and we had an 8" dump. My back up was a large Ariens snowblower. 30" width 21" height. It costs $2k, but I will sell it this year as I no longer need it. My point is a good walk behind blower is not a bad option if you do not have a long driveway to deal with.

Last edited:
   / Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #10  
I clear my mile long gravel driveway with my Rhino 950 rear blade. Eight feet wide - 1050#. It cost - $3695 - brand new in 2017. It replaced a much lighter Land Pride rear blade - GS2584 - around $1800 in 1982.

In 1982 I called a local plower to clear my driveway. $275 in '82. Today the cost is - $385. Some years I clear the driveway - mail box area - yard - upwards of eight, or more, times. The last two years I haven't even had to start the tractor - all winter.

To date I've spent - $40,000 on two tractors. $30,000 on implements. I have quite a few implement and now they are all, finally, Cat 2 compatible.

I plowed the neighbors driveway - once. He didn't like the way I plowed it. He just better not come knocking if/when we really do get some snow.

Last edited: