trailer without brakes - max weight

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #1  

donn12

Platinum Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB turfs and loaded ags
It looks like 3000 GVW and above is where most companies install brakes on their trailers. I am thinking about a 6x14 single axle without brakes for ATV UTV etc transport. This would be below the 3000 lb threshold but how comfortable are you towing 2500 without brakes? is there a max weight without brakes you are ok with occasionally? thinking of a Gladiator or full size Ram tow vehicle. I could see a 20 or 40 mile trip for repairs with a total weight of 2500 or less. I could also see a 3 mile trip on my back road to moms house fully loaded once or twice in the next few years.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #2  
Ordered a Hillsboro 78x12 ATV/utility trailer. 2990 gvwr single axle. Not a concern with no brakes with 3000lb behind our trucks. If the tow vehicle weighed 3500 lb I would consider brakes more important.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #4  
Texas is 3000 before brakes are required.

I’ve hauled my old boat at 2500 all over the place without trailer brakes on an old f150. But I put the brake controller on when I topped out at 6800 lbs for trailer+tractor when I got my 3510

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #5  
It really depends on how heavy your Tow vehicle is, if I'm towing something like that with a 2500 truck I'd feel pretty confident, but if I'm towing a 3000 pound boat with my sedan, I'm going to want trailer brakes.

But if you're gonna make it a habit, brakes are the way to go. I towed my 3200lb boat with my sedan for several years and then I finally bought a kodiak brake kit for it.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #6  
single axle, 3500 max weight- no brakes required
dual axle or more- brakes on trailer required.
What is pulling it is not a part of the equation for DOT regulations.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #8  
Personal experience. Towing 6x12 single axle no brakes behind new at the time 2011 Ram 1500 loaded with three riding mowers. Two turned sideways and one facing front to back. Coming up to intersection with 4 way stop and intersection is known for loose pea type gravel so was proceeding slowing toward stop sign(10-15 mph). Truck hit loose material and 4 wheel antilock decided I was slipping the tires and let go. When the vehicle stopped I was driver window to driver window to the car on the other side of the intersection. Trailer got upgraded to 7x14 tandem axle with brakes on both axles like the following week.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #9  
FYI, your example exceeds the limits of the trailer you have described.

Factor 100 lbs for every foot of trailer length. Your example = 1400 lbs
Toys= 2500 lbs
Total - 3900 lbs

That is 400 lbs over the axle max limit of 3500 lbs.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #10  
Different states have different requirements. Idaho is 1500#, some states don't specify a weight but do specify a stopping distance.

State brake requirements