Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #1  

RodXmas

Tractor
Troy Bilt Horse
I have a dilemma. I inherited by father-in-laws Troy Bilt horse tiller that was bought sometime in the late 70s. It starts easy and runs smooth but has lots of issues. The transmission slips really bad unless I wire 20210724_143322.jpg20210724_143335.jpgdown the lever. I have to keep constant pressure on the throttle. I live in Maine and have been unable to find anyone to do a complete restore job. Do you know of anyone in the western maine area who would take on such a project.

Is it worth it to spend a lot of time and effort to get this rebuilt or should I just replace with a new Big Red Tiller or other recommendation you may have.

Thanks

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #2  
Sounds like you need a couple of adjustments before making a decision.

Here's one that covers the lever adjustment.

Bruce

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #3  
If you pay someone to rebuild it rather than doing it yourself, forget about it. It will go over budget and won't be worth what you spend. The Horse you have with that Kohler engine is one of the classics of American design. It is beautiful, functional, bulletproof and will last generations if you care for it..

Rebuild it yourself or sell and buy a throwaway tiller to get you by for a few years. Then rinse and repeat.

Oh, I think the belt is slipping and not the transmission. BTW, use the old style gear oil in the trans or you will eat up the brass parts. GL-1 or modern synthetic is what to do. Search online.

Last edited:
   / Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #4  
You cannot get a 'real' new Troy Horse tiller. MTD owns and makes them now and they are very cheapified. I agree with bcp - it sounds like yours just needs to be adjusted.
And/Or maybe new belts. There is no "transmission" in the classic sense. It just has gears that come together when the lever is pushed down and the belts drive the gears.

They are very simple machines and the issues you mentioned are easily remedied. Sorry I am not closer to help.

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #5  
Not knowing your model, here is a typical lever adjustment.

Troy Bilt Horse adjust.jpg

Bruce

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #6  
Repair for sure. Like already stated...they don't make em like that anymore.

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #7  
This is coming from a Troybilt dealer. you will regret not repairing that tiller. I don't care if it cost $1000 you will still be money ahead. There isn't another tiller on the market that will equal the quality of the old Garden Way Troybilt tillers.

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #8  
This is coming from a Troybilt dealer. you will regret not repairing that tiller. I don't care if it cost $1000 you will still be money ahead. There isn't another tiller on the market that will equal the quality of the old Garden Way Troybilt tillers.
I bought my Troybilt Horse new in 1982 (I think).
I am 80 now, and have no intention of ever using it again.
Was going to sell it, and also my 12HP Gravely Pro.
My oldest son said no!

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #9  
What everyone knows and says.... Fix it. I had one of these seven hp tillers bought new in 79 for 900. I ran it and ran it and ran it. Finally about five years ago some one was selling a BRAND NEW HP that had been in Storage for fifteen years. Sold t he old one and got t he new one with the handle improvement. Take care of that old machine. You "might" find out the carb linkages get wallowed out from the vibration but you have a dandy ol machine and you won't find a better one unless you spend beaucoup on a big BCS

/ Rebuild or Replace Troybilt Horse #10  
Like everybody else says. My dad had a Troybilt Horse from the 70's. That thing was great, built like a tank too. One of the worse mistakes he did, was to sell it thinking he'd not do any gardening. I wished i'd known he was going to get rid of it, as i'd have bought it from him.