What if....?

/ What if....? #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I mulled over the possibility of selling my tractor and maybe implements and just hire out jobs as I need. I bought a L3301 back in 2019 and in two years after I sold it I put 100 hrs on it. Most of that 100 hrs was making a walking trail through my woods.

I then upgraded to an MX5400 and have 11 hrs on it since I bought it in late May of 2021. I bought it new and have 6 yr note that I pay $500/mo. I also have a heavy duty rotary cutter, box blade and grapple (from EA) that is paid off.

Most of the low hrs was due to a lot of rain during May and part of June.

However I started thinking of why I need this tractor. I used it for grading the driveway once a year. I used it to pick up a downed tree every now and then. I use it to mow in certain areas of my property and thin out scrub around the trees.

I did have a few very large branches that blocked the driveway that I was easily able to lift with the tractor and bring to the burn pile. That was nice although I could have used a chainsaw to cut the branches into manageable pieces to haul off with my side by side.

I could hire someone once a year to grade the driveway. I know there are people on Craigslist that will hire out themselves with a tractor for $75/hr.

What's your opinion?

/ What if....? #2  
Only you know how much you need it. Another option might be to rent one as needed.

/ What if....?
Only you know how much you need it. Another option might be to rent one as needed.
I talked to a guy at work that just bought a Kubota B series tractor. He said he couldn't find a tractor rent. The tractors were booked months in advance.

No, if I sold I would just hire someone from FB or CL.

/ What if....? #4  
I will jump in and question your purchase. Why did you get a bigger tractor? Why did you get a grapple instead of forks? From what you describe I think your original tractor was large enough and you could get by with a smaller one.

/ What if....?
I will jump in and question your purchase. Why did you get a bigger tractor? Why did you get a grapple instead of forks? From what you describe I think your original tractor was large enough and you could get by with a smaller one.
The L3301 wasn't built for work in the woods. I had to replace two Hyd filters and install a guard around the filters. I've bent a few things under the tractor. Even the salesmen acted like he never heard my reasoning for a tractor when I first bought the L3301 and then complained to him off and on over the next 2 years.

Also I have 40 acres of large trees that when I have to move a downed tree the L3301 just didn't have ability to lift (even with ballast and filled tires) unless I cut the tree into much smaller pieces.

The MX5400 was and is the right tractor that I should have bought in the beginning. I just thinking out loud about the amount I use it versus hiring someone when I need work done.

/ What if....? #7  
This is exactly like the backhoe argument. Sure you can rent an ex when you need that job done and the BH isn't the greatest tool....but many convivence has it's value. You say 11 hrs since May and only that low because of rain, considering the average homeowner only uses their tractor 50-60 hrs a year you sound above average for use. You're dollars but I'd say keep it if it's not a payment burden.

/ What if....?
I can afford the payment. Just thinking out loud and wondering if other members have went through this same thought process.

/ What if....? #9  
I can afford the payment. Just thinking out loud and wondering if other members have went through this same thought process.
Well when I got my MX I had a BX for a while and decided I wasn't using it enough so sold it, I miss it all the time just because of the niche if filled. Now I've got a M4 and MX...and occasionally still miss the BX :cry:

Kind of like selling a gun, you'll always have a twinge or regret.

/ What if....? #10  
40 acres and you want to hire out the work? That would make me reconsider.
I put around 200 hours per year on my 3301 and am in the woods about 50% of that time, the only problem I've ever had was when I got it stuck and couldn't get out for 2 weeks. (Before that I had a smaller 275 which I used equally hard for 15 years.) Still, a bigger tractor is always better for that type of work.