A bicycle or a lawn tractor?

/ A bicycle or a lawn tractor? #1  

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
I was hipped on "Related Topics" recently - LOL. So I thought I'd throw out a question here. As empty nesters now, the wife and I were thinking about getting into biking and other types of exercise activities. I still play other sports, but I'm looking for something that she can do with me. So I thought biking might be good. It was recommended that I go to a bike shop versus the "big-box" stores. When I walked into one and started looking at prices, it was a rude awakening. I saw prices ranging from $1K to $5K and above. Seemed to me you could easily spend more on biking equipment than a law tractor; another one of those things that make you go hmmm...

What makes bicycles so expensive? They're not even powered by gasoline engines. Whatever the case, I guess it works because I see plenty of people buying them complete with the uniforms that make them look like tour de france racers.

/ A bicycle or a lawn tractor? #2  
Do you have a good place to ride? Traffic? Hills?

Check your local Goodwill stores for bikes. I've seen lots of mid-range bikes at very good prices. And not as great a loss if you end up not liking the activity.

Is getting and using a "lawn tractor" something she will have fun using with you? :)

Bruce

/ A bicycle or a lawn tractor?
Is getting and using a "lawn tractor" something she will have fun using with you? :)

Bruce

LOL - something tells me she wouldn't think a lawn tractor would be too much fun. That would be close to getting her a vacuum cleaner for her birthday. But thanks for the Goodwill tip.

Oh, forgot - we have bike trails within our community.

Last edited:
   / A bicycle or a lawn tractor? #4  
Get a set of gang reel mowers and pull them behind the bicycles. Then you can have the best of both worlds. :)
Seriously though, you don't need to spend that much on new or used until you are sure that you want to stay with it. There are plenty of bikes on the market for a more reasonable price. You might have to settle for steel frames vs titanium or expensivium.

/ A bicycle or a lawn tractor? #5  
Just something to consider...

Hippos can run faster than humans on land, and swim faster than humans in water...Which means the bicycle is your only chance of beating a hippo in a triathlon....!

Get a set of gang reel mowers and pull them behind the bicycles. Then you can have the best of both worlds. :)
Seriously though, you don't need to spend that much on new or used until you are sure that you want to stay with it. There are plenty of bikes on the market for a more reasonable price. You might have to settle for steel frames vs titanium or expensivium.
Okay, so you guys got jokes and stuff! :D If only we could put that brain-power to work for something good!

Yeah, you're right - we definitely don't need to go top of the line from the start. We already know we want it to be for regular exercise versus road racing. So sounds like a good part of the expense is the materials that go into the frame.

Just something to consider...

Hippos can run faster than humans on land, and swim faster than humans in water...Which means the bicycle is your only chance of beating a hippo in a triathlon....!
:unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

/ A bicycle or a lawn tractor? #8  
Most bikes are essentially clones (many brands use the same exact frame) and a vast majority of them are built in the same factory.
Bikesdirect.com sells these super cheap, and they're legit bikes; I'm guessing that the super high end models may be custom-ish built but anything you're considering buying before you become a serious racer isn't.

I bought one for my son a few years ago and there's very minimal setup you need to do, and you can spend 1/2-2/3 retail without all the attitude many bike shops make you pay for (I used to be a serious rider and found few shops that weren't astoundingly elitist... our local town has a couple now which is refreshing but the best-known one, while the owner is really nice, their employees could use some really basic customer care training, and this is coming from someone who's very sympathetic to service industry folks, I just expect someone not to actively sneer if I ask the wrong question or admit that I don't know the very latest gear).

Another thing to consider is a tandem bicycle - you don't have to worry about leaving her behind! Ok, there, you considered it. Now, don't get a tandem, because they're really tough to ride on especially if the stoker (person on the back of the tandem) is nervous... and she'll be nervous. And definitely don't consider going off-road on one. Ask me how I know. (no we didn't crash but I pretty much aged 5 years on a one-hour ride).

Oh and about electrics: Electrics are always heavy; super expensive ones are less heavy than some others, but they're still heavy, and will basically require electric boost anywhere except on a downhill because of that extra weight. Unless you're in a hilly territory and will be shopping or traveling far, avoid electrics for recreation purposes.

Most bikes are essentially clones (many brands use the same exact frame) and a vast majority of them are built in the same factory.
Bikesdirect.com sells these super cheap, and they're legit bikes; I'm guessing that the super high end models may be custom-ish built but anything you're considering buying before you become a serious racer isn't.

I bought one for my son a few years ago and there's very minimal setup you need to do, and you can spend 1/2-2/3 retail without all the attitude many bike shops make you pay for (I used to be a serious rider and found few shops that weren't astoundingly elitist... our local town has a couple now which is refreshing but the best-known one, while the owner is really nice, their employees could use some really basic customer care training, and this is coming from someone who's very sympathetic to service industry folks, I just expect someone not to actively sneer if I ask the wrong question or admit that I don't know the very latest gear).

Another thing to consider is a tandem bicycle - you don't have to worry about leaving her behind! Ok, there, you considered it. Now, don't get a tandem, because they're really tough to ride on especially if the stoker (person on the back of the tandem) is nervous... and she'll be nervous. And definitely don't consider going off-road on one. Ask me how I know. (no we didn't crash but I pretty much aged 5 years on a one-hour ride).

Oh and about electrics: Electrics are always heavy; super expensive ones are less heavy than some others, but they're still heavy, and will basically require electric boost anywhere except on a downhill because of that extra weight. Unless you're in a hilly territory and will be shopping or traveling far, avoid electrics for recreation purposes.

Dude... that is like the motherload of info. I just browsed their site and it's awesome. I think this might be exactly what I'm looking for in terms of variety and definitely price. Since we're basically novices on purchasing bikes like this, I'll say that we'll basically be riding on bike trails - like old canal paths around our area (and in others), so it'll basically be flat and smooth, I think. Would you recommend visiting some bike shops to get a feel for what we need and then ordering online or is something like that frowned upon? Based on the info I've given so far, is there a brand/model that jumps out at you for us already? Thanks so much for that tip.

/ A bicycle or a lawn tractor? #10  
Dude... that is like the motherload of info. I just browsed their site and it's awesome. I think this might be exactly what I'm looking for in terms of variety and definitely price. Since we're basically novices on purchasing bikes like this, I'll say that we'll basically be riding on bike trails - like old canal paths around our area (and in others), so it'll basically be flat and smooth, I think. Would you recommend visiting some bike shops to get a feel for what we need and then ordering online or is something like that frowned upon? Based on the info I've given so far, is there a brand/model that jumps out at you for us already? Thanks so much for that tip.
I find there to be ethical issues with spending bricks&mortar store time and then buying online, so I can't advise that. If it's worth it to you to get someone's in-person sizing determinations... you kinda owe them something IMO.

That said: You can size bikes pretty accurately on your own. Leg length matters a lot, but also consider torso & arm length. My current MTB (mountain bike) would probably be a decent trials bike; it's got a relatively small frame and it's pretty compact but this means the seat's up quite a bit above the frame and the handlebars are on a long gooseneck and the bike is really twitchy and I feel like I'll crash just trying to get a drink when I'm going above 15mph. Yes, I bought this at a LBS (local bike shop) and it was recommended by size, and I call it a mistake and someday I'll sell it and buy a bigger bike. So obviously buying at the LBS isn't a guarantee that you'll get the right bike! Maybe they just really wanted to sell it.

If you're doing casual trail stuff, or pavement & gravel, don't get a full-suspension bike. The rear suspension is extra weight and cost and complexity that's for pretty serious downhill travel or for really heavy people (I knew a guy who rode casually but he broke bikes quickly until he got a full-suspension: he was 6'6 & 350#).

I personally mostly ride on the road but prefer a MTB vs road bike because bigger tires have more cushion and the front suspension helps with comfort too, and it's a more upright position. MTB isn't as efficient on the road... but I'm just trying to get exercise. I just won't go quite as far on the MTB in the same amount of time as the road bike (eventually sold the road bike already) and still get the same workout, just more comfortably. I ride with tires that are great for road & dirt but would suck on mud, but if it's really muddy out I'm not likely to ride. My tires are 26x2.1" with not quite a slick; they have pretty minimal road friction but still plenty of off-road traction (in dry). Most MTB will come with knobbies and if you mainly ride on the road even when you're just out for exercise you're still probably going to want to replace those, there's limits to not caring about inefficiences haha.

These days they've fragmented the bike market further and now have "gravel bikes" that from what I can tell are like old-fashioned cyclocross bikes. I have a preference for the wider flat MTB handlebars for more upright position, but you may differ.

It's been years since I shopped bikes. My advice would be to look for a bike with at least a middle-of-the-line component set; it used to be that eg Shimano had 3 lines, but now I think they have like 7 or 8. XTR is gorgeous light and perfect sure but super pricey. DX or XT are fine and more than sufficient. Or they were a few years back... basically think about getting the F350 XLT, don't bother with a platinum or king ranch, this is a bicycle. The analogy falls apart though because even the base model is reliable, but I don't consider the base component groups to be reliable - they'll work fine for a little while and get out of adjustment more easily or little **** will break on them. Buy decent stuff and you'll rarely have to mess with it.

26" vs 29er: Doesn't matter, really. 29" look cool and may have a slight edge in rolling smoothness, but I'd check tire prices and initial cost and base it on that. We rode 26" for decades and we liked it!

Fat tire (4" tires): don't, unless you're riding on the beach or in snow, and then reconsidering doing that. Sand will get in everything and destroy it. When I lived in a beach town and often rode my bike to beaches, I literally carried the bike on the sand and flipped it upside down on the seat & handlebars to keep sand out of the workings. 4" tires are really heavy and expensive; the wheels are heavier and expensive; the extra rotating mass will start and stop more slowly.