Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,281  
I found an interesting site that predicts future economy by the number and type of rail cars in service and on order to be built. They're predicting steady growth through 2045. So maybe we'll have more trains to watch in our future. (y)

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,282  
The reduction in coal transportation by rail in the U.S. can almost singlehandedly be placed on the rise in the shift from U.S. coal to U.S. natural gas for power generation. That cannot be put on the Chinese. It's 100% U.S. driven.

View attachment 708413
we lose any rail because of drop in Manufacturing? Got a chart for that?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,284  
The reduction in coal transportation by rail in the U.S. can almost singlehandedly be placed on the rise in the shift from U.S. coal to U.S. natural gas for power generation. That cannot be put on the Chinese. It's 100% U.S. driven.

View attachment 708413
That’s pure speculation on your part.

The only thing that chart shows is an extreme drop in coal tonnage shipped. It does NOT show that it was replaced by NG. Of course there was an increase in NG because of fracking, which is also on the ropes, but you can’t claim the reduction was singlehandedly replaced by NG.
Anyone/everyone knows the precipitous drop in US manufacturing which was replaced by Chinese manufacturing in the last 20 years results in less energy hauled by rail, truck and pipeline in the US.

Even if it WAS replaced by NG hauled by rail, what if that NG was being exported to countries like China for manufacturing? Then it proves my point even more. China has taken nearly all our industrial base away. That’s a huge concern.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,285  
That’s pure speculation on your part.

The only thing that chart shows is an extreme drop in coal tonnage shipped. It does NOT show that it was replaced by NG. Of course there was an increase in NG because of fracking, which is also on the ropes, but you can’t claim the reduction was singlehandedly replaced by NG.
Anyone/everyone knows the precipitous drop in US manufacturing which was replaced by Chinese manufacturing in the last 20 years results in less energy hauled by rail, truck and pipeline in the US.

Even if it WAS replaced by NG hauled by rail, what if that NG was being exported to countries like China for manufacturing? Then it proves my point even more. China has taken nearly all our industrial base away. That’s a huge concern.
90% of coal usage in the U.S. goes to electrical power generation. Only 10% goes to manufacturing. Both sectors are down about 42% in coal usage. So a reduction in manufacturing usage of coal only accounts for about 5.8% of the drop in coal usage. The rest of the drop goes to electrical generation's shift to natural gas and renewables.

And, this discussion is taking all the fun out of this thread, so that's all I've got to say about that (my apologies to Forrest Gump).
95F3A09E-C747-4960-A14E-00D09768E06D.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,286  
Bah, your original speculation doesnt hold up, but yeah, back to railroads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,289